Magnum Fuel Inj Without the Beer Barrel

-

Logan

Reaction score
Any reason why I can't use the Edelbrolck FI intake manifold (PN 28155) on my Magnum with EQ heads drilled for LA intake? Perhaps (Magnum) accessory mounting problems? Anyone done this?

You can use factory Magnum fuel injection with an LA intake if everything is set up to work. The problem is running Magnum serpentine drive system, water, and timing cover with the Magnum A/C compressor on an LA intake because the thermostat needs to be further right to clear the compressor.
If you are not running A/C at all, it's not a big issue. I have not run one this way yet but have plans and parts to do it. When I do, I will also be switching to a Holley four barrel throttle body, instead of the two barrel adapter. I have mocked up everything for non A/C on a Super Victor intake, but I did not take a picture.

Any reason why I can't use the Edelbrolck FI intake manifold (PN 28155) on my Magnum with EQ heads drilled for LA intake? Perhaps (Magnum) accessory mounting problems? Anyone done this?

Check out Hughes website for the flow numbers on both manifolds at low and midrange RPM. The Beer Keg manifold can be easily modified to bump the peak power and torque range up about 800 RPM.

I remember researching this a few years back when I was using a slightly bigger cam that would still work with the stock valve guides etc. There was nothing currently available will produce more power at low and midrange RPM than the Beer Keg.

Having a competent tuner alter the factory programing so you can reflash the ECM using a hand held SCT Tuner will give you significantly more power too. I found it to be the single greatest power enhancement I did on a near stock motor.

Depending on the cam, exhaust and compression you run, themed and upper midrange power can potentially be higher with your Eddie intake. Is that manifold similar to the Hughes Airgap?

Edelbrock 28155 is the Super Victor single plane with fuel injection bungs added and drilled on the casting.
Hughes air gap manifold is made by Edelbrock as well, and is the Magnum style RPM air gap dual plane manifold with injection bungs added and drilled.

Having a competent tuner alter the factory programing so you can reflash the ECM using a hand held SCT Tuner will give you significantly more power too.

Can you elaborate on just what is involved with that?

SCT hand held tuner just allows you to simply load a calibration file into the factory ECM. That calibration is setup by the vender that sells you the hand held tuner box.
You supply them all the details of your engine, trans, vehicle weight, etc, and they build a file to optimize the fuel and timing, and shift points if applicable.
You cannot make these adjustments on your own with the SCT hand held tuner box.

SCT hand held tuner just allows you to simply load a calibration file into the factory ECM. That calibration is setup by the vender that sells you the hand held tuner box.
You supply them all the details of your engine, trans, vehicle weight, etc, and they build a file to optimize the fuel and timing, and shift points if applicable.
You cannot make these adjustments on your own with the SCT hand held tuner box.

Exactly as described above, plus a good tuner will have you report on your wideband readings at idle, cruise and full throttle several times while he dials in your fuel and spark maps to optimize them.

I have run the same factory ECM with several iterations of a 5.9 Magnum from mildly modified stock motors with headers, cam & valve springs and modified Beer Barrel to an aftermarket ported aluminum Eddie headed 408" stroker motor with a pretty big custom cam and 45lbs injectors. My latest iteration spins out 382 hp & 525 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels, gets 17 mpg at 70 mph and 14 mpg around town.

I get a base tune from my tuner on the east coast, download the file into my SCT Tuner and plug the tuner into the OBD2 port in the car. I drive the car, report back on the wideband readings and upload the corrected tune. It usually takes about 3 fine tunings to get it right.

Chris at Performance Injection Equipment has been the best tuner I have used out of 3. Here's his website.

Mopar Crate Engines, Cylinder Heads & Fuel Injection

I assume he charges "per tune?" What kind of money are we looking at, here?

I assume he charges "per tune?" What kind of money are we looking at, here?

Yes, but the custom dialing in tunes are included with the purchase price of the SCT until they get it right. I can't remember now, but it was north of $300 for the SCT & the custom tunes. Once I had the SCT Tuner and made significant engine changes, I was charged much less for him to do a custom tune.

There are also canned tunes available, which are less expensive. For a near stock motor, this may be the way to go, but with a low idle vacuum cam and bigger injectors, a custom tune is much better.

The ECM actively trims fuel tables using feedback from the O2 sensor, but having a tuner get it close to correct in the first place is an advantage.

-
Back