Magnum head conversion on an LA engine

-

dusterman79

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been searching on here but can't seem to find any info on converting my 74' 318 heads to Magnum heads. I do know the basics of the swap but wondered if any of you warriors have actually done it, or have any good detailed info regarding this swap. Any input would be so greatly appreciated.
Chris.

Hey guys, I've been searching on here but can't seem to find any info on converting my 74' 318 heads to Magnum heads. I do know the basics of the swap but wondered if any of you warriors have actually done it, or have any good detailed info regarding this swap. Any input would be so greatly appreciated.
Chris.

Dusterman im running the EQ Magnums on a 318 LA block Zero decked ,scat i beam rods,Balanced rotating assembly but running the comp extreme 268 solid cam Crane 1.6 rollers and guide plates,heads have been bowl ported,valves are MP S/S 192-162,springs are single with dampners but i needed to have my guide tips machined to avoid coil bind.Eddy D/plane with runners matched ported & 650 avs carb.Nice combo,good street manners idles @750 with some lope, great acceleration.Running 2500 stall custom stall not off the shelf stuff with 345 LSD rear end.Depending on what stick you want to run,solid or hydraulic,type of lifters, pushrods length which you will need a pushrod checker to determine your length.head bolts are different.If your using the the mag head your limited to manifolds where to EQs you have the choice of LA shaft type rockers set up or Mag pedestal type, LA manifold setup which broadens your choice.If you have your rocker gear from your old set up you will save some bucks as with the pedestal type as you will need to shell out another 3-400 for the set up.You can use your old LA rocker covers even though they are 5 bolts compared to 10 on the mags. Fishy68 runs the EQs on his 408 but i think he is running solids aswell,others will chime in and give you better variations as im only going on what i did and had some money to splash at it but if your working on a budget there are ways around it with out going too deep.I must say they are a terrific cast iron head which flow well straight out the box and you wont have to mortgage your house. Just get them set up from a good Machinist and you will be good.

Thanks so much guys for your input on this :) I really do appreciate everyone's input and link postings.

-
Back