magnum head help ASAP

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
if i get magnum heads and the amc lifters and drill my intake to sit on the magnum heads will the magnum push rods be strong enough to hold the lift of my cam the xe274

You have to use special pushrods, you can't use stock Magnum push rods they are the wrong length.

Chuck

MP Part number: 5007477 these ones by mp are the correct ones for the swap or no? the 7.625 ones

ok how much does the total conversion cost

88 for rockers
40 for push rods
40-50 for lifters
200 for heads if lucky not cracked
46.50 bolts

DO I NEED THE ROCKER GEAR?????

AND IF I GO MAGNUM HEADS WOULD IT BEFINE TO STEP UP TO THE XE284 CAM

Lets see, you'll need;

The heads of course and yes, the rockers.
Push rods - conversion units
lifters AMC lifters
head gaskets (La or Magnum will do)
Head bolts Magnum head bolts.

Figure in shipping/handling and /or tax if purchased in your state.

The Magnum heads can take *I think* I read, .510 lift. Make sure you have clearance or have different seals put in by a shop for clearance.

the heads im looking at already have double springs on them so.... going xe284 and the stock 1.6 rockers should be fine right?

if i stay with the 274 and use the magnum stock 1.6 rockers lift will be 516
if i go to 284 lift with the 1.6 will be 544 and these heads have dual springs and if i run that much compression like 10.7 might as well get a good cam no?

Lets see, you'll need;

The heads of course and yes, the rockers.
Push rods - conversion units
lifters AMC lifters
head gaskets (La or Magnum will do)
Head bolts Magnum head bolts.

Figure in shipping/handling and /or tax if purchased in your state.

The Magnum heads can take *I think* I read, .510 lift. Make sure you have clearance or have different seals put in by a shop for clearance.

Heres a more complete list.Not everything on it is necessary.

Magnum Head Assembly MP# P5007086 (two required)
Magnum rockers, stands, guide plate, and bolts: MP# P4876050 (eight required)
Special length Pushrods: MP# P5007477
Mopar/AMC lifters: Comp Cams #822 or MP4529220
Magnum head bolts: MP# P4876759
Magnum valve covers (desirable, maybe not required)
MP Magnum intake OR
Modified LA intake OR
Bushed and re-drilled heads (to adapt LA intake)
Spark plugs for Magnum heads - I used Autolite #3923
Standard LA gaskets
Throttle cable bracket from MP (only used with vertical drilled intakes)MP# P4876850
Throttle return spring bracket from MP (only used with vertical drilled intakes): MP# P4876313

you can use the stock linkage on magnum heads???

and when i buy the rockers they come with the gudie plates?

opps ya they come with everything i need for the rockers
and i will modifiy my intake for it to work

Better plan on getting the head bolts with the heads. MP has a back order on the Magnum head bolt sets until 07-2008!! Just went thru that hassle a couple of wweeks ago. Needless to say, there is a 5.9 in th boneyard with a hole in the pan and all the head bolts missing....

NAPA has the head bolts, but they have to ordered. It was like a 2 day wait here in Idaho. They were cheaper than the Mopar bolts. It took me a week to get the conversion pushrods in at the dealer. Word of warning, don't order the pushrods until you check the actual length you'll need with the heads bolted up.

I went with the .028 Mopar head gaskets and with my Comp cam, I only had .02 lifter preload. Also, the Mopar rods averaged .025 to .03 short of the advertised length. It works, but was noisey and not correct. I ended up going with pushrods that are 7.700 long and they made the preload .065.

If you want 31 Mopar conversion rods, PM me and I'll give them to you for $30 shipped...as long as you don't ask where the 32nd one is....

One more tip, if you end up going with a magnum style intake manifold rather than drilling your heads, Edelbrock makes a set of gaskets that sell for $15. I got mine thru Shucks's, Summit didn't list them. Any other route will cost you over $35 because the set comes with the plenum gaskets that the factory intakes use.

One more tip, Dodge dealers stock the Magnum intake bolts and they're reasonable at $12. They're hard to find at a hardware store as they're 2 1/4" long and most places have 2 and 2 1/2.

Thank you Mr. Resto. (He he he)

For head bolts, theres also ARP, Poineer, etc... More money, but they probably have them on a shelf waiting to go.

DB15
you can use the stock linkage on magnum heads???
What linkage? Carb/tranny?
Good question, I don't know?

I was just reading through this thread. Be very carefull with your cam choice. Regular Magnum heads will get into spring binding and retainer issues if you go with more lift than .525. These issues can be cured with spring seat machining and different springs and the use of different retainers I believe. Go to this site for most of the info needed. www.bigblockranger.com

Jack

-
Back