Magnum head question

-

Relax360

Reaction score
Once I get my 67 Barracuda on track for paint and bodywork I need to decide what engine I want to use. I have a 318 and a 360 block in storage. I was thinking about getting a set of Edelbrock magnum heads. This car will be more of a cruiser then a drag racer. However I don't want to be beaten by any import or Ford :)

Can I use Magnum Heads on a 318 with 2.02 Intake Valves?

I know I would give up some low end torque using the 318 so I have to consider that.

Anyone use the Edelbrock magnums on their engine yet?

Brad

Yes, you could, but IMO, I'd look into the Indy/RHS "X" head for a teen.

I agree with Rumble. You can switch to a magnum type head but with it comes entirely switching the valve train to magnum style which is expensive by the time you get done (believe me, I know from experience) and it isn't as stable as a stock shaft type rocker system like LA heads use. If you really want Eddy's why not use the LA style?

I am not set on which heads I want to use. I like the idea of saving weight so I was leaning toward Eddies but your right I could go with regular LA eddies just thought the magnums would be nice for the modern combustion chamber design. But if that is a marginal upgrade feel free to voice your side. I try to have an open mind :)

Brad

I bet it's the extra lift. Which is nice to ssay you have and truthfully stating it is even better, but, ethier "LA" or Magnum version of the Indy head would be a better bet IMO than a Edelbrock head for the 318 in most cases.

A Comp hi lift cam (XE series) or a huges or Lunati cam can provide the high lifts with a stable valve train set up of a "LA" head.

Was checking out RHS those head do look like they would be better for a 318. Would you guys say the same head for a 360 or is that a different kettle of fish?

Brad

I am not set on which heads I want to use. I like the idea of saving weight so I was leaning toward Eddies but your right I could go with regular LA eddies just thought the magnums would be nice for the modern combustion chamber design. But if that is a marginal upgrade feel free to voice your side. I try to have an open mind :)

Brad

All Eddy's are aluminum. They have a LA version that has the same closed style combustion chamber as the magnum's. It's a part number 60779. The newer combustion chamber is more efficient and definitely worth it. The RHS heads have a similar combustion chamber.

The weight savings of aluminum sure is nice but since the RHS heads have smaller valves their probably more suited to the 318.

Was checking out RHS those head do look like they would be better for a 318. Would you guys say the same head for a 360 or is that a different kettle of fish?

Brad

The RHS head is plenty for a moderate 360. The intake ports are actually just a little big for a 318 at 176 cc's. Same goes for the Eddy's.

Brad

I run the RHS heads on my 360 magnum, well worth the 875.00 i spent, i'm sure in stock form, they will be like a race head on your 318, stock they will support 450 HP, ported with larger valves there good for around 550 HP.

I run the RHS heads on my 360 magnum, well worth the 875.00 i spent, i'm sure in stock form, they will be like a race head on your 318, stock they will support 450 HP, ported with larger valves there good for around 550 HP.

That would be with a Stroker, a Roller Cam and 12:1 Compression. You could possibly see a REAL NO BULL 550hp with those heads. This is from experience building one using Ported INDY/RHS LA version.

That would be with a Stroker, a Roller Cam and 12:1 Compression. You could possibly see a REAL NO BULL 550hp with those heads. This is from experience building one using Ported INDY/RHS LA version.

Yeah Mad, i was just speaking for the "heads" capability!

Brad

Not exactly Brad. Just handled differently. Being a 360 is a bit larger, mostly due to stroke, the engine makes more torque. It has a heavier draw of air and fuel through the head. The port size (In cc amount) reacts differently than with a smaller engine.

While the port size is a little large for a 318, it isn't to big. I think "Race Head" is a little over board of a description. But I also don't want to down play it ethier.

If I was next to you while looking at both engines, I'd tell you to do a 360 engine with the RHS heads for several reasons. Being it is a cruiser and with the idea in mind you don't wanna get whooped by something other than your buddies Mopar in mind. The 360 is much choice because of;

1. The longer stroke produces more torque. This is made in the lower RPM band and fades by the top end of the RPM scale where HP is made. (Keep that in mind for a second. We'll be right back to that.)

The longer stroke makes alot more torque which is good for get up and go. No matter what car you have or it's weight, the more you have, the easier it is to get going. More the merry, hands down. With less pedal effort, even better.

2. The longer stroke engines will make there peak HP earlier than a short stroke engine. The 360 will peak several hundred rpm sooner than a 340 at similar peak levels. Remember the 340 loves to rev. The 318 is no different in the way it acts. It just has a (Much) smaller bore but the same stroke.

3. You still can get excellent gas mileage from a 360. Of course, once you start putting performance parts in it, it'll fall, just like any other engine. But there is an advantage to running a 360 over a smaller engine for mileage concerns as well as what I allready listed.

Since the bigger engine is makeing more torque at the same RPM as the short stroke engines, it will require less pedal to maintain the same speed.

I had a '79 Dodge Magnum (Cordoba based car) with a 360 in it. After a few upgrades, Carter 4bbl on top of a iron intake, dual exhaust of the manifolds w/H pipe to twin cats going to the bumper and a MSD w/a OE vacuum advance distributor, the car was getting 20 MPG's Hwy. with 235/60/15's and a 2.76 gear.
Preety good for a 3700 lbs car IMO. I get in with a 1/2 tank of gas, were looking at 4000 lbs.

While not a tire frier, it did move well. Note, no headers, no cam change, no overdrive.

4. Most performance parts are 340/360 based. The heads, in almost every book, catolog and performance parts maker/seller are geared to the bigger engines. The 318 is largely ignored.

The heads have runners that will work great, with high velocity and shaped well for this type of application. The smaller valve will keep the velocity up and moving. Upgraded chambers help burn the gas better with more power. No valve shrouding on a small bore.

On a smaller engine, the big ports act a little more, "Lazy" in there air speed flow. They'll start to work alot better with RPM. But I'd rather have them working now instead of later.

In drag racing, street or strip, he who gets to the top of there engines performance arena gets going quickest and has a better chance to win.

On the street, the first one to 100 MPH will win because everyone else is playing catch up.

Thanks Rumblefish. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. For sure I want to Keep the port velocity up. I come from the Pontiac group of GM and I totally understand the result of ports that are too big. Also you bring up good points I am leaning more toward the 360 now.

Brad

Thats why its nice haveing guys like Rumblefish around, he don't mind getting his fingers tired exsplaining stuff in detail lol.

Thanks Joe. LOL, there a little shorter now. Getting down to nubs. new fingers arrive in a few days, so I'll be good to go again. LOL!

Hey, Relax360, your welcome, but that's just my point of veiw.
One I beileve in for a street ride. Also, because 340's are not cheap!

-
Back