Magnum head swap in factory ECU 2003 5.9 engine? Any Codes/EGR?

-

Caco2120

Reaction score
Hello all,

In short, is there ANY factory EGR passages, or AIR pump provisions, or anything i'm not thinking of on a factory magnum head?

to ask a different way...can I swap to a set of the "magnum" edelbrocks….and not throw any codes? on say a stock 2003 5.9 truck, with factory ecu.

THANKS!!!

You shouldn’t have any trouble with codes unless the heads have valve seating troubles. The stock magnum EGR feeds from the exhaust manifolds to an EGR valve in the kegger manifold via a stainless steel tube. The biggest issues I know of are first off finding a set of magnum heads available anywhere right now, unless things have changed this month. And if you do find them new, you’re better off getting bare castings and having them worked by someone who you know that does good work. The most common issues I knew of were seat concentricity and guide to valve clearance but everything (including valve material quality) is suspect on most aftermarket assembled heads.

You shouldn’t have any trouble with codes unless the heads have valve seating troubles. The stock magnum EGR feeds from the exhaust manifolds to an EGR valve in the kegger manifold via a stainless steel tube. The biggest issues I know of are first off finding a set of magnum heads available anywhere right now, unless things have changed this month. And if you do find them new, you’re better off getting bare castings and having them worked by someone who you know that does good work. The most common issues I knew of were seat concentricity and guide to valve clearance but everything (including valve material quality) is suspect on most aftermarket assembled heads.
exactly what I needed to know. thank you. I didn't want to over-complicate my original question.

I have a line on a 2003 5.9 Dakota with a cracked head, into the water jacket. I also have a set of edelbrock magnum heads. I also live in an E-check county. So, I really have no plans of hot rodding this truck. I want to swap heads. do NOTHING else besides gaskets, not have to tune it, and have the factory emissions remain in tact, and the factory EGR work. I'm familiar with how TBI chevys have a port right into a combustion chamber, and how vortec chevys have the tube coming off the exhaust manifold, like you described on the magnum, and how fords have a long hole drilled into the end of the head. I had no idea what magnum mopars had for EGR, and I don't have the truck yet. so short of looking for factory diagrams of EGR path, thought you fellas may be able to help, and you did. thank you!

FYI, the factory dumped the EGR after 95. That ‘03 shouldn’t have it at all.

Okay, thanks! The few magnums I’ve been in on have been older than 1996.

Okay, thanks! The few magnums I’ve been in on have been pre 1995, so I’ll try to keep that in mind.

exactly what I needed to know. thank you. I didn't want to over-complicate my original question.

I have a line on a 2003 5.9 Dakota with a cracked head, into the water jacket. I also have a set of edelbrock magnum heads. I also live in an E-check county. So, I really have no plans of hot rodding this truck. I want to swap heads. do NOTHING else besides gaskets, not have to tune it, and have the factory emissions remain in tact, and the factory EGR work. I'm familiar with how TBI chevys have a port right into a combustion chamber, and how vortec chevys have the tube coming off the exhaust manifold, like you described on the magnum, and how fords have a long hole drilled into the end of the head. I had no idea what magnum mopars had for EGR, and I don't have the truck yet. so short of looking for factory diagrams of EGR path, thought you fellas may be able to help, and you did. thank you!
Are you sure this thing has a crack into a water jacket? Most Magnum heads that crack just develop a small harmless crack between the valve seats with no coolant leak or loss. Most of them that are burning coolant, leaking into a combustion chamber, just have a blown head gasket.

Do you already have rocker arms to work with the Edelbrock heads? They take Chevy roller rocker arms. May need new pushrods too, but you'll have to measure those with heads in place. Also, I never checked to see if stock valve covers will fit over the Edelbrock Magnum heads and rocker arms, so check that before installing the heads.

I’ve seen several sets go into water. From what I’ve seen, a serious overheating incident (pegging out the gauge) will do them pretty quickly.

I’ve seen several sets go into water. From what I’ve seen, a serious overheating incident (pegging out the gauge) will do them pretty quickly.
Would you possibly have a picture of where that was happening on the head? I have not seen it yet and would like to know.
Thanks.

It’s a set of heads that aren’t in my possession at the moment, but I’ll have him send me pictures. They’re bad enough that the warehouse rebuilder who buys cores from my machinists said to send them to the scrap pile. But even worse than that is that they’re bad enough the person who I had them checked out for won’t use them. It about has to be split in half for that to happen.

It’s a set of heads that aren’t in my possession at the moment, but I’ll have him send me pictures. They’re bad enough that the warehouse rebuilder who buys cores from my machinists said to send them to the scrap pile. But even worse than that is that they’re bad enough the person who I had them checked out for won’t use them. It about has to be split in half for that to happen.
Dang, now I really want to see that. Lol.

-
Back