magnum heads questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Ok guys

I have a fellow mopar junkie who runs a salvage yard in my town. He has a dodge pickup with a magnum 318. Its got a bad bottom end knock, miles a tick over 100k. I was thinking ofbuying the heads off him for my 74 model 318 mild buildup. I have heard these are crack prone. I can get them with all the hardware, rocker arms, and valve covers. I know what other parts i will also have to get to make em work on my non magnum shortblock.

Now for the question. He wants $100 per head, im thinking i can clean em up do a valve job, put heavier duty springs in them, maybe some new guides if needed, and head on down the road.

Or i can save my $$$s up and buy a set of ready machined EQ magnums for about $300 and change per head, and still have to get valves, springs, retainers, valve covers, rocker arms and all the hardware etc.

He told me to get em pressure checked, and if they dont leak good to go, if they do leak he would take em back, and give me my $200 back.

Also are the magnum headbolts a stretch type bolt requiring replacement every time you pull a head, or can these be reused? If they cant i will just buy a set of ARPs.

Any suggestions? Like most folks here im a working stiff on a working mans budget.

Thanks
Matt

I'd go for the EQ heads. There allready done. Better yet, for. Few bucks more (if it is in your wallet) contact one of our local engine builders for a really nice set of prep'd EQ's.
OU812 - Brian of MMI, in Cali.
Mike Liston of MRL is basicly just due north of you a state or two.

Eq's rock! The 1.92/1.62 head is a 172 CC intake port,stock 153 CC. Usually I port heads,when I buy them. The EQ's I bought, were such a clean casting. I cleaned up rough bowl edges,nothing else. Stock heads flow 205-210 at .480-.500,EQ's 230-240 O.O.T.B .Another kicker,you can buy them with a LA intake bolt pattern. Use the cheaper LA intakes.

$100 per head is nuts. If you look on Craigslist you can pick up a whole motor cheap

Agree with Sedanman.....I pick up a complete running 360 magnum motor for $100 with 83,000 on it

Hey Matt, AFAIK, the head bolts, while magnum specific, are not TTY bolts, but I'll look for a better answer unless you already found one

-
Back