magnum heads

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
i just got a 360 out of a 99 ram 2500 (freebie) it runs but has a slight knock. i was wondering if the heads on it are better than the heads on my 360 in my duster. my engine is a 77 360 out of a van with stick heads, ported, new valves and stiffer springs. i had heard that the newer heads flow alot better. should i build the magnum heads and out them on my duster? what are the benefits?

thanks

Yes Magnums are better than stock '77 360 heads but they are most likely cracked between the valve seats, pretty much every used set is...

Magnum heads are not a bolt on for an early 360. You need special pushrods and lifters that oil the top end. Your intake won't work because of the bolt angle. Not a bad upgrade but you will need to spend some $ to use them.

The benifits to the head are higher flow in STOCK form. Your 360 heads are allready ported. You'll have to spend money on porting the Magnum head with all new valve gear and valves not to mention the above, new pushrods, new lifters and intake in order to run the heads.

I have never heard of "Stick" heads in my life. WTHeck are they?

OH wait, manual trans engine?

Theres no difference in heads on a automatic or stick, truck or car. It's ethier a 318 head or a 360 head.

If both of them flo the same after your ported LA heads the magnums are "still" better IMO because of there closed chamber, but there most likely cracked between the seats as stated so i wouldn't spend a dime on them, throw em in the trash if there cracked. I can see why you got that engine for free, a good running one hardly fetches 350-400.00 in most areas, so with a knock it isn't worth much if anything, unless you want the EFI system or manifolds, but hey, Free IS Free right.

thanks for the advice! i probably wont use those heads. i was just curious. and i accidentally spelled "stick" instead of "stock"

-
Back