Magnum heads

-
Pittsburgh ran out of steel a long time ago AFAIK!

Democrat party took over. They hate what you love.

I partially agree. These days, I think its more like the two heads of the same snake, but I think the real culprit is Wall Street and the desire for ever bigger dividends for share holders. They're not interested in making anything anymore, just pure profit. In the hunger for the ever cheaper labor pool, they've outsourced our entire industrial might.

It's a real shame. Most likely we'll never get it back.

It’ll come back after the absolute collapse of America.
When everyone walks around in torn up 3rd generation hand me downs.

how do you ID a set of genuine EQ heads? ( a guy 1.5 hrs away has a set for $1350). iirc they have a wide flat area on either end of the head. I did note the peculiarities in the earlier pics & I am going to check the EQ heads that I do have. I did have a set of the bad ones from a ben gorman at promax. the intake holes did not even line up. he wouldn't take em back cuz I didn't have the OE boxes they came in.

upload_2022-3-26_21-3-52.png

RR.....Can be stamped 318A or 318B. This pic is from FABO member bobzilla and not mine. I just installed my EQ heads and valve covers so can't offer any pics of mine.

I bought my last set of EQ heads in 2016. was the 3rd set Ive had my hands on. the 1st (around 2008-ish) was the best. the 2016 set was the only set I bought "ready to run" and they clearly WEREN'T!!! went on a freshly rebuilt 360 Magnum in my Durango and I got 6 miles out of it.... 6 FREAKIN MILES!!! Guides were not finish reamed, and stuck #4 exhaust which kissed a brand new piston!! I might have had 3 hours on that engine with break in and all.... ONLY "ready to run right out of the box" set of heads I ever bought. Being as how I had to have them gone thru with such little run time I wont buy a set of heads "ready to run" again. I'll buy them like my 1st 2 sets were (bare) and build them up myself. I went to EQ's warehouse in Chicago and picked this set up myself. I remember I got the last head from one pallet and the 1st off the full pallet next to it. No way to tell which pallet the bad head came from. I wound up buying another 360 Mag from CL with (then) about 1/2 the miles of my original engine, and having the EQs redone and they're on there now. back then they cost me $700/pair. and then after I got tired of looking at that Durango as a garage ornament 3 years later I found that 2nd motor on CL and got it back running. in 2019 it cost me another $250 to have a valve job done on those low hour heads to make them usable. I was not happy. and these were supposedly NZ heads.

Did the OP ever get those heads from PIE? I'd love to see some pictures of there work, I suspect the flow numbers on there site are the old "EQ" numbers....I am doing some R&D on the china castings in house, and they definitely DO have potential if a guy isnt afraid of cast iron.

Did the OP ever get those heads from PIE? I'd love to see some pictures of there work, I suspect the flow numbers on there site are the old "EQ" numbers....I am doing some R&D on the china castings in house, and they definitely DO have potential if a guy isnt afraid of cast iron.

I did get them. It took just a touch over 4 weeks. I spoke with them and they are flowed according to their specs on their site. Someone here has said that they also got a set but they didn't match their advertised rates. I didn't check mine. They were definitely worked and had the 2.02 valves and bronze guides with the hardened seats. I'm close to wrapping up the build (timing cover, oil pan, waterpump) and after, I'm going to try and get it dyno'd so I guess we'll see.

The workmanship from PIE looked to be good. We'll see I guess.

Here are some pics....

20220608_172119-XL.jpg

20220608_172139-XL.jpg

20220608_172154-XL.jpg

20220608_174217-X2.jpg

20220810_190245-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I did get them. It took just a touch over 4 weeks. I spoke with them and they are flowed according to their specs on their site. Someone here has said that they also got a set but they didn't match their advertised rates. I didn't check mine. They were definitely worked and had the 2.02 valves and bronze guides with the hardened seats. I'm close to wrapping up the build (timing cover, oil pan, waterpump) and after, I'm going to try and get it dyno'd so I guess we'll see.

The workmanship from PIE looked to be good. We'll see I guess.

Here are some pics....

View attachment 1715975214

View attachment 1715975215

View attachment 1715975216

View attachment 1715975217

View attachment 1715975218
They look nice but it's hard to see what's been done on the heads beyond some work on the entry of the port. If a little entry work is the extent of the porting then it's unlikely these are a 270cfm head.

-
Back