Magnum heads

-

Grassykid08

Reaction score
I'm building a set of magnum heads for my 360 and am in the process of buying rockers a buddy of mine told that you can get a set of crane roller rockers for between $200 and$300 That is a CHEVY part# i hadnt heard of it but figured why not check and see any input will be helpful. Thanks

He's right, you can use a chevy rocker on a Magnum head, but, the attaching bolts are larger than a stock Magnums. You'll need some machine work there.

Crane sells a roller rocker conversion kit that is compatible with Chevy stud mount rocker arms. It does not require machine work.

yup, Im using Angus roller rockers they are american made.

I have the Crane roller rockers for a sbc on my magnum heads. I used Hughes guide plates and 3/8 studs, which is a lot better than the Crane kit. The Crane kit has plastic pushrod guides which do come apart.
I had to put lash caps on the valves to get the rockers to roll across the tip properly. With a 8mm stem you don't have much room for error.
If I had it to do all over again, I would just get the Hughes kit.

Crane sells a roller rocker conversion kit that is compatible with Chevy stud mount rocker arms. It does not require machine work.

The Crane kit uses individual cast guides with a nylon insert instead of a more conventional guide plate for the push rods. These are quite thick holding the bottom of the stud up almost 1/8" higher. This can result in the bottom of the rocker contacting the base of the stud.

Hughes has a more conventional guide plate and stud kit that I would recomend over the Crane kit.

Also, you need to check the contact of the roller with the top of the valve stem. Not all Chevy rockers are exactly the same and you can run into issues where the roller will run off the side of the valve stem. This can be adjusted with different length push rods but you need to check and likely get custom length push rods.

FWIW, if you are not pushing the engine past 6000 rpm there really is no reason to not use the factory magnum stamped rockers.

Not all Chevy rockers are exactly the same and you can run into issues where the roller will run off the side of the valve stem. This can be adjusted with different length push rods but you need to check and likely get custom length push rods.

LOL! I'm having this problem with the stud mount rockers on my edelbrock heads.

Steve

Hughes Engines has a complete set. Rockers, guide plates, studs. All for $345. The only other thing you'd need is pushrods. And no machining required. Just bolt them on and adjust them. I'm building a stroker and using EQ heads prepped by Hughes and searched around and can't find a better deal than their rocker setup.

Too ironic.Just went through, all this silliness..... Got the pattern close.

-
Back