magnum PS pump work with early A PS box?

-

Patrick

Reaction score
I'm eventually going to install a '93 5.2L magnum in my 65 valiant. I'm keeping the original PS box but wanted to know if the PS pump on the magnum will work. Wasn't sure if the '93 jeep it came out of had rack and pinion and whether or not the line pressure was drastically different...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Shouldn't be a problem but you may have to build a hose with the proper metric fitting on the pump end and an SAE fitting on the valve end or get an appropriate adaptor fitting.

I worked at Chrysler in the 70's making the power steering gear and now work at Ford and for years made the power steering pumps.

We made about 80 different pumps, but there is very little difference in them. yeah some make more pressure, some flow more, some have different relief valves, but they all make pressure.

A gear wants pressure & flow. Now if the is a little less flow or pressure the gear might feel heavy. if it has too much it might be light, but overall it will work.

cudamark - agree, i will have to make new lines (will prob just make AN braided lines)
WildCat - thanks for the reply! i was hoping i'd hear that!
Thanks again...
Patrick

cudamark - agree, i will have to make new lines (will prob just make AN braided lines)
WildCat - thanks for the reply! i was hoping i'd hear that!
Thanks again...
Patrick

I'm using the magnum p/s pump with my '73 steering box and I can't tell any difference from the original. I used the factory power steering hose from the jeep and had a hydraulic hose shop put the right fitting on it after I cut it where I wanted it.
-Jon

-
Back