magnum style serpentine belt

-

Muscley MOPAR

Reaction score
i switched my magnum style block wit la w2 heads to a magnum style serpentine system alt. tensioner idler pwr. steering water pump front cover all magnum truck stuff. anyone else do this ive created a bracket for the tensioner where the a/c would be, but im thinkin bout making a bracket on the pass side by the alt. nd idler instead

Attachments

• IMG0361A.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG0360A.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 775
Yer gonna have to move your battery, p/s pump interferes. Also you can just get a smaller belt rather than add the extra bracket where the a/c was. There is a listing for a magnum belt w/o air. The other advantage to a shorter belt will be a smoother run on your upper hose to the radiator.
That's a magnum water pump so it'll run right.

Another small problem I ran into, your intake looks about as high as mine . It's making air cleaner choices limited without cutting up the hood. Not part of your belt drive but a little point that you may wanna start planning for.

If you get the P/S pump for a van, it wil position the pump much lower and you might not have to move the battery. I am gettin stuff together now for the serpentine drive on my Frankenteen build. I am using a van pump bracket and I can tell you mine will mount way lower than yours. My engine however is going in a truck and may have somewhat more room than yours to begin with. Also, there ARE a/c delete brackets available, but you still use the tensioner in the stock position. Still though, I like your ingenuity. Keep at it. Nice job.

Not to hi-jack, but does the van pump/bracket bring it in any tighter to the head. It was the spread that caused my issues. It placed the pulley half into the battery.

Not to hi-jack, but does the van pump/bracket bring it in any tighter to the head. It was the spread that caused my issues. It placed the pulley half into the battery.

Yup. Looks like it drops the pump down and pulls it in closer to the engine.

Attachments

• PUMP.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 539
thanks for the imput guys and doesnt a serpentine style go counterclockwise and a v belt go clockwise cause that would make sense being the lower hose is on the pass side for the magnum and drivers side for thr v-belt

Use the van bracket. Not enough room? Replace the pump body (or the pump) with one from a mid-90's Dakota, the pump body is clocked with the top further in. My Magnum swap Dart clears the battery tray just fine using this combo and factory PS lines.

Also, either spend the coin on the factory non-AC alt bracket that relocates the idler to make a straight shot to the PS pump, or stab in DORMAN #: 34178
41GGmF0fWKL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Either one will work with the van PS bracket, but the factory non-AC bracket gives a little more room to the battery.

If you don't maintain the factory belt routing, you will get belt slippage...and that's for Chebbies.

well i plan on putting the battery in the trunk any way so that solves my problem wit my power steering and the bracket i have now will work each pulleyn has at least half belt cover just where i put my tensioner on the ac part i had to move the pulley futher towards the drivers side so the belt loosens

Hello, did you ever get it working? does the B van PS bracket bolt to head differently then the truck PS bracket??? thanks

Not trying to hi jack the thread but if you or anyone is looking for a set of march underdrive pulleys that came off a 97 Dakota i have them for sale.If i am breaking the rules sorry and the mods can delete.PM me for info if needed.

I've had no problem getting belts of different lengths and simply reroute the belt for the water pump to rotate either direction. The water pump doesn't care how the belt is routed.

Treblig

-
Back