Magnum swapping the 72 Scamp!

-
Took a few more photos near downtown la today.
CF8CDEF6-2B45-45FD-A18A-4731F4819A06.jpeg
4E6ADC8C-A5AE-43DA-A8D4-E4EC40CE65C3.jpeg
1D45A003-B80C-4667-92FF-C53A5E671053.jpeg

I have been chasing a vibration over 70 mph and happy to report I got it sorted. I went to a different driveline shop and had them look at my driveshaft / u joints.

It turned out the cheap u joints the other shop used were no good even tho they were new. So in went some spicer joints and a balance and voila, no more vibration. Good stuff.
IMG_4927.JPG

A few more updates...

First I didn't like the fading argent on the grille, I think some of it might have even been just bare plastic at this point. I liked the idea of a satin black so I went ahead and painted it. Before and after:

IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5789.JPG

I also "restored" the turn signal bezels with a clay bar and elbow grease. Before and after:

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG

I did a reseal and repaint on the power steering pump. Also lined up a saginaw pump to put in one of these days.

IMG_5619.JPG

And finally just for fun I did some rubber coating in black / metallic on the wheels. Its removable but I like it for now so going to keep it for a bit.

IMG_5880.JPG

And took her out to the spring fling here, super cool to meet a few members and chat people up.

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

Love your thread....you've done some very, very, very good work here.
Sharp as all get out.

Looks good other than the dark colored wheels, that looks just plain awful compared to before.

Love your thread....you've done some very, very, very good work here.
Sharp as all get out.

Thanks!

WOW that looks good!!! Awesome work!

Thank you sir!

Looks good other than the dark colored wheels, that looks just plain awful compared to before.

Haha yeah I figured that one might get some hating on. Definitely polarizing. The good news is that it’s removable, so I will probably leave it on for a few weeks and pull it off. I don’t mind it but I know it’s not for everyone.

I think if you would have darkened the inside spokes, and left the outer lips shiny it would look better, but its your car do what you want.

I think if you would have darkened the inside spokes, and left the outer lips shiny it would look better, but its your car do what you want.

yeah I know what you mean. Im not really in love with those wheels in general so just wanted to try something out. I will probably remove the coating soon and just run them silver until I decide on something else.

A couple small updates. I got the later scamp badges installed which are much better than the stickers.

IMG_6768.jpg

Also got my Wideband in (finally) and did some idle tuning and got it to high 13s A/F at idle.

I still have a lean condition when I get on it from a stop. Tightening up the secondary door has helped a bunch, I might just need to tighten it more. I also tried some pink step up springs. I need to work on cruise and WOT mixtures as well still.

Also Installed a Schumacher torque strap the other day but forgot to snap a photo.

Do you know what paint code your car is? I’m seriously considering painting my Duster this color when the time comes.

Do you know what paint code your car is? I’m seriously considering painting my Duster this color when the time comes.

haha! thanks, its definitely grown on me. Its GF3 on the fender tag (F3 green) however it has been repainted. The story I was told was the the painter used a later year F3 green, my assumption is from a Volare / aspen because its definitely lighter than the correct 72 F3 green.

I have been using the Wideband to tune the carb and its been working amazingly. Gas mileage has gone up significantly, but there is still an ever so slight stumble on heavy throttle stab. I think I need to get after the secondary jets next.

Interestingly, the AVS2 is jetted slightly richer from the factory than the AVS but I have found the rod/ jet setup for the 650 AVS has worked MUCH better for my application. It was overly rich everywhere before and now seems to be much more in tune.

The tuning saga continues...

IMG_7192.JPG

Finally got her out to the strip a couple times and getting used to it.

Still working on my launch skills. Probably 85 degrees tonight which didn’t help and I had my wife as a passenger and a bunch of tools in the trunk.

The best I could do in 3 runs I got in was an 8.8 1/8th mile which works out to about 13.8 I guess?

Some cool cars at the strip, quite a few a bodies as well. Also got to see finnegan run the blasphemi which was awesome.

5D037D58-A58E-4C27-82CC-F743B93D11E7.jpeg

1CB7BCD7-2808-48BA-800E-0414F7BFFE8A.jpeg

84069310-E0E7-46F7-AACF-87BCE3D57952.jpeg

A11EACAB-EF88-4FD4-A67F-228B81CDB300.jpeg

Not the same run:

I need to launch it harder. lol

Last edited:
I replaced the HORRIBLE leaky summit mufflers with some flow master 40 series finally. The summit ones were leaking pretty badly at the seams as you can see, new ones sound WAY better too.

Surprisingly it picked up a few HP, I thought the old ones were semi- straight through and turns out that they have a couple 180s in them. Pretty happy with the result, here is old vs new:

IMG_8717.JPG

I replaced the HORRIBLE leaky summit mufflers with some flow master 40 series finally. The summit ones were leaking pretty badly at the seams as you can see, new ones sound WAY better too.

Surprisingly it picked up a few HP, I thought the old ones were semi- straight through and turns out that they have a couple 180s in them. Pretty happy with the result, here is old vs new:

View attachment 1715200197

I'll have to check my mufflers when I get the car back in my possession; I have the same muffler/exhaust kit on mine and I didn't have any issues with leaks, but the one pictured definitely does.

Pretty badass you saw Finnegan running the blasphemi--looks like he had Tony Angelo with him too

I'll have to check my mufflers when I get the car back in my possession; I have the same muffler/exhaust kit on mine and I didn't have any issues with leaks, but the one pictured definitely does.

Pretty badass you saw Finnegan running the blasphemi--looks like he had Tony Angelo with him too

Yeah, the muffler made a NOTICABLE difference in torque after driving it more yesterday. Obviously way louder, but in my opinion better noise. The muffler I have from summit is not welded, its crimped but maybe in the past they were welded as the photo shows for the kit.

Yeah tony and Finnegan both were there and a good at least 5 guys from westech were there working on it. I saw him post that they had just made the yellow mailbox on the hood and within a day it ripped off from the wind. :( Saw this posted yesterday too:

I took it back to the strip this week, got 2 runs in and the good news is it feels like it picked up a bunch of power, the bad news is I can't put it down haha

I came back with slightly worse times. I tried to launch it harder and it was a massive fail of wheel spin halfway down the 1/8th. I had fun though and met a few cool people. nobody seems to know what a scamp is though... or Plymouth for that matter.

So next on the list are tires, 245s aren't cutting it clearly. Trying to decide if I should go back to 15s with some 275s with drag radials for the rear, or get different 17" wheels for all 4 corners (staggered 275 rear).

IMG_8761.JPG

Also a little idle video of the new mufflers:

Well I measured, measured and measured again. I took a chance on some 17x9 +25 wheels I thought would work and got a hold of some used 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson’s.

I can say it worked out pretty well so far! Surprisingly I think I will get away with only some minor clean up of rough edges on the fender lip and maybe if needed a really light trim.

Also huge thanks to @72bluNblu for professional wheel consultation haha

First test fit with no tires yet:

DB339221-A98D-4541-BDB9-29DFA9198088.jpeg

8E453365-EC7A-49CE-9010-F53B3E511B40.jpeg

37C7B3EC-1670-41B5-A751-D5C43B8C4482.jpeg

Then when it was looking good, had the tire mounted up before I bought another wheel.

408CF2F1-8D68-4883-B98B-4E771DA29D70.jpeg

E1C43D43-EBBF-4BBC-A015-D77981732EF2.jpeg

It has about .75” to the quarter and .5” to the leaf.

9DF654B5-60DC-49E7-A451-99BBBA004959.jpeg

Here’s the real kicker tho... the rims are an inch wider and the tires much wider, yet these wheels are 2.2 lbs lighter. Not bad. Free hp.

E7815AA6-73C1-474A-9D6D-8B102874D48A.jpeg

F21217CF-1F45-4DCB-8192-6AE4B2C595E0.jpeg
BA8D8A7B-0DCD-4F70-90A9-6B702E7C0271.jpeg

9C12FF26-99A5-4B5C-9BF6-5BAA3DDB81FB.jpeg

Can’t wait to get the other wheel and mount another tire to try them out!

-
Back