Magnum swapping the 72 Scamp!

-
I love the build! Are you running comp rockers and stock length push rods?

Cant remember at this point but yeah I think they are stock length. I had brian at IMM help me with that when I was doing it.

Damn-just noticed where you harvested a hood for $50-that's awesome-wish I could find a deal like that.

Yeah that one definitely felt lucky!

I have been plugging away here and there when I had time. Painting parts eats up so much time! haha

When taking off the main caps / bearings I accidentally dropped a couple bearings. I didn't feel good putting those back in so that meant taking the crank out. Doing that without taking the pistons out wasn't the easiest task but I felt it necessary and would also allow me to clean the bottom half of the rear main area and inspect the bottom bearing halves. all the bearings looked good, but I kind of expected that.

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

Painted up K member, oil pan, timing cover. new front seal on the timing cover as well.

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Gasket scraping fun!

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

oil pan installed

IMG_3970.jpg

Remembering the order of spacers and brackets was a chore even using photos as reference. haha. But its currently sitting right side up again, which feels like a good milestone! I painted the damper orange and cleared over some timing tape as well.

IMG_4041.jpg

keeping the dream alive. haha... next up have to order myself a converter!

Thanks for the info! Looks like the builds coming along nicely!

Ah I remember now, they are actually engine pro rockers (recommended by IMM) and hardened push rods I believe stock length. Also used comp guide plates that I had to finesse a bit (open the gap) because they were a bit tight on the pushrods after torquing down.

Still plugging away, did some touch up painting on the heads where there was a couple paint nicks.

Installed the painted fuel pump and a new alternator. The old alternator worked but I figured the time / energy involved in taking it apart and cleaning it didn't justify the $35 or whatever a new one was on rock auto haha... hope it works because it sure is prettier.

interestingly the alternator that came off had the larger pulley. I will see how this one works and maybe need to swap pulleys.

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4384.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

Definitely made some progress this past weekend.

I have had these QA-1 strut rods sitting in the garage for probably going on 2-3 years and happy to finally install them.

IMG_4495.jpg

Dynamic converter arrived! Should stall according to them around 3800? we shall see.

IMG_4500.jpg

While I had the pan out I wanted to install a trans temp gauge, so I went at it and successfully drilled / tapped for the NPT sensor threads.

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

Getting engine ready for its hoist ride onto the K

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

The eagle has landed. :)

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

I am waiting on some parts so I decided to finish up some odds and ends I have been wanting to work on. First up was the steering coupler.

Some old *** grease in there, more of a tar than a grease really haha

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

Old seal (that did nothing) vs new seal

IMG_4822.jpg

Before some wire brush degreasing action

IMG_4825.jpg

and after:

IMG_4826.jpg

Some light wear on the inside from the shoes

IMG_4831.jpg

New paint, new grease and new clip ready to go once I get the K frame / steering box back in:

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

And finally, I hooked the 5th and hopefully final gauge: trans temp

IMG_4862.jpg

Almost there! Planning for putting this hunk of iron back in this weekend.

I had to wait a few weeks but I got this custom flex plate from Hughes balanced for a magnum. They take a normal B&M plate and make the pie cut to balance it. I haven't seen anyone post about this approach, mostly just reusing stock plate so I will guinea pig it and see how it goes. After having a stocker crack I didn't want to deal with that again.

IMG_5371.jpg
]

Almost there:

IMG_5375.jpg
IMG_5376.jpg

Now just got to lift it up and put this back underneath. Should be simple hahaha...

IMG_5397.jpg

Last edited:
Well, its getting close to being on the road again.

I have to say this install was 1000x easier and maybe even quicker than just pulling the engine and trying to mate everything up in the compartment. So much easier doing headers / starter etc out of the car.

So we got it in within probably 45 minutes and it was just a matter of hooking everything back up. Our stopping point for the day ended up being that the engine position was a bit off so one torsion bar wouldn't go in without hitting headers. So I have to re-adjust the mounts a bit, finish up some odds and ends, and it should be ready to fire!

Not bad for some 1 car garage olympics haha

IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5490.jpg

Got her running and driving finally! The new converter is a world of difference, so happy I made that leap. Happy to report no leaks thus far!

I had a couple issues early on chasing noises, one turned out to be a dragging caliper that needed bleeding, and another was the driveshaft loop back a hair too far slightly rubbing the shaft on big dips. The Firm feel front sway end links are also rubbing on the QA-1 strut rods so the sway is currently unhooked. Have to sort that one out some how.

I am kind of liking the bumper less look, so don't know if it will go back on right away. :). I also need to dial in the front ride height, its a bit uneven from side to side.

IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg

IMG_7461.jpg

IMG_7466.jpg

Got her running and driving finally! The new converter is a world of difference, so happy I made that leap. Happy to report no leaks thus far!

I had a couple issues early on chasing noises, one turned out to be a dragging caliper that needed bleeding, and another was the driveshaft loop back a hair too far slightly rubbing the shaft on big dips. The Firm feel front sway end links are also rubbing on the QA-1 strut rods so the sway is currently unhooked. Have to sort that one out some how.

I am kind of liking the bumper less look, so don't know if it will go back on right away. :). I also need to dial in the front ride height, its a bit uneven from side to side.

View attachment 1715334722

View attachment 1715334723

View attachment 1715334724

View attachment 1715334725
You’re right. It looks pretty dang dood without a bumper! Maybe fab up a custom valance to fill the hole? I’ve thrown that idea around some for my Duster but haven’t done anything about it yet. I personally was thinking of something similar to this mustang.

5F5CD929-55A6-4DCC-8C28-E79B27125126.jpeg

8ADA8FB1-47DE-4386-BD2E-846904DA62DA.jpeg

You’re right. It looks pretty dang dood without a bumper! Maybe fab up a custom valance to fill the hole? I’ve thrown that idea around some for my Duster but haven’t done anything about it yet. I personally was thinking of something similar to this mustang.

View attachment 1715334781

View attachment 1715334782

ah yeah that looks great! I wouldn't even mind if the slimmer dart bumper fit. Might have to try and find one at the J yard and see if it works.

ah yeah that looks great! I wouldn't even mind if the slimmer dart bumper fit. Might have to try and find one at the J yard and see if it works.
The dart bumper sticks too far out in the middle to fit the Duster well but I’ve heard the 67-69 Barracuda bumpers are a lot straighter across and might fit to the body better.

The dart bumper sticks too far out in the middle to fit the Duster well but I’ve heard the 67-69 Barracuda bumpers are a lot straighter across and might fit to the body better.

Ah good point! yeah looking at how the dart hooks back on the sides that will be a problem. those barracuda bumpers might be worth a try tho yeah! Good call.

I found a 72 dart at a local yard a while back so might just pick up the bumper for shts and giggles and see how it works out if its cheap.

I had plans to see if I could make the dart bumper and valance work a few years ago, then I stumbled upon this thread. As far as I know, neither guy ever got it done, or myself for that matter. Maybe you’ll be the one who actually attempts this finally! Lol

67-69 Barracuda Bumper on a 70-72 Duster

In Michigan if it came with a bumper, running it without will get you a ticket.

I am waiting on some parts so I decided to finish up some odds and ends I have been wanting to work on. First up was the steering coupler.

Some old *** grease in there, more of a tar than a grease really haha

View attachment 1715306815

View attachment 1715306816

Old seal (that did nothing) vs new seal

View attachment 1715306817

Before some wire brush degreasing action

View attachment 1715306818

and after:

View attachment 1715306819

Some light wear on the inside from the shoes

View attachment 1715306820

New paint, new grease and new clip ready to go once I get the K frame / steering box back in:

View attachment 1715306821

View attachment 1715306822

View attachment 1715306823

And finally, I hooked the 5th and hopefully final gauge: trans temp

View attachment 1715306824

Did you put Chevy gauges in?

In Michigan if it came with a bumper, running it without will get you a ticket.
I’m sure it’s the same here, but cops are less likely to notice that vs Michigan. Michigan cops are way more likely to have some car knowledge haha

Plus 3874729297272 more cars on the road here. Less likely to get picked off :

A5B33D03-1A71-409B-8C97-1FABB342D201.jpeg

I was able to get her to the track. The converter made a HUGE difference in launch and feel. it also runs at lower RPM on the freeway, go figure. Temps were low and I had to go a little easy out of the hole, so was only able to get a best 60' of 2.0. Lots of room for improvement, but I did get an 8.30 clicked off even though I was only able to make 3 runs.

Here is the 8.30 @ 88mph run:

Im digging the lowered front end (I guess the torsion bar adjusters got turned when everything was apart). Hope I can keep it that way.

IMG_7599.jpg

I also got to run against this demon... Lost bad obviously. haha. Sick car though.

IMG_7590.jpg

Love the car, love the build, but I gotta say that the bumperless look isn't it for me.. it just looks unfinished. I get it, less weight at the very least, but that's what they make fiberglass for. I just think you need to get a 'glass one and maybe adjust it to fit better than the originals do or make some kind of filler panel.

-
Back