magnum valve spring etc

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Took these pics of this magnum spring today. Is this a stock spring?

Only slightly conical in appearance. Narrower seat width than the r/t spring.

The spring seat and valve guide appear unmolested.

Also took pics of the locks retainer and valve seal while I was at it. Same seals/locks spring combo for each valve on both heads

Yes, it's stock in appearance anyway. A suitable cheap upgrade are GM 3100V6 springs, retainers and locks. They are also beehive springs.

Thanks moper. Any idea what lift those gm springs are good for?

Comp finally got back to me. However, the response said they dont have a listing for a valve spring for a magnum head

???????????????

Somebody here must know which one to use.

Crower still has not responded...

Oh,where can I get Goodson valve seat cutters?

For springs? Yes I know they have them and a good selection. Just seeing what other options there are

I believe the issue is not the springs for lift, but the retainer to guide clearance that stops you at .500 lift, and remember to account for the longer 1.6 ratio when figuring that. The 3100s will do that, and IIRC have a little over 300lbs open st .500, so that would work for a bunch of the milder cams you can run. I have Magnums for my truck's 360. I'm working on picking a cam to stay within the stock spring range... but that wont see the high side of 4Krpm. You can get Goodson stuff on line direct from them.

According to Larry Shepard's Magnum engine book, the mag engines should allow .550 lift before retainer to guide clearance becomes and issue, that leaves .100 before they touch. Of course, always check your heads to be sure....100 minimum clearance.

-
Back