magnum valve springs?

-

63dartman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are heavier valve springs for the magnum heads that don't require changing the clips and retainers? I'm thinking the magnum head valve springs are pretty weak to stand up to a non-roller la bottom end. Since almost all magnums are roller I think they went with a lighter spring. My 360 has always been plagued by the sewing machine sound above 3k rpm's and I want to fix it for good.

Hughes has a valve spring, PN 1102, that fits the Magnum head without modification for under $6 each. I can't find the email with the locks and retainers he recommended but I'm thinking they were under $65 for the retainers. Those springs are good to .550 lift.

Apparently,the LS1 valve spring will work,but I dont know about the retainer.

I have emailed crower and comp about thier springs,just waiting for word back.

Thats good news on the hughs spring. If you find the email let us know!

I dont know about the stock roller spring being weak. Dont roller cams have more aggresive ramps than hydraulics?

I just looked at hughs websight. Of course theres no info..

I run Hughes 1110 with their retainers. Retainers are pretty cheap if you're going through the expense of valve springs. Plus, Hughes springs aren't beehive, so you have to get the right ones to match.

If you have any questions, call Hughes directly. They are extremely helpful. My entire valvetrain is mixed between stock Magnum and Hughes stuff.

I dont know about the stock roller spring being weak. Dont roller cams have more aggresive ramps than hydraulics?

I just looked at hughs websight. Of course theres no info..

The stock Magnum camshaft doesn't really push the envelope.

5.0s have roller cams from the factory too, but their stock springs suck.

Steve

Hughs got back to me,pretty quickly I might add! This is the spring reccomendation that they made.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...OSk=&level1=VmFsdmUgU3ByaW5ncw==&partid=10280

And this is the retainer to match the spring.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...ZXJzLCBMb2NrcyAmIEFjY2Vzc29yaWVz&partid=23197

Makes no mention of cutting guides or needing another seal? Maybe it's not needed.

So call it $95 for springs+ $65 for retainers.

Or you could go this route and get 2.2 retainers.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopmagrachil1.html

$136 for springs. Add in retainers and I think the seat needs to be cut .

I'll let you guys know if and when Crower and Comp get back to me.

Needs, I think the springs are good up to .500, and have some decent tension. "patrick" on Moparts has the specs handy. Unless you change to longer valves (chevy) I dont believe you can run over .500 whether you cut guides or not...lol. I'll find out soon enough. I've got a set of Magnums to top the 360 going into my truck.

Ya moper,I think you'll be o.k until about .525 or arond there..

The cam im using will be right around .512 with the 1.6 ratio.

When contacting Hughes about their Whiplash cams, they seemed to think the .552 lift would clear the guides. Larry Shepard's "How to Modify Your Mopar Magnum V8" says there should be about .650 clearance between the retainer and the guide and recommends no less than .100 clearance, effectively allowing a cam with up to .550 lift-anymore than than and you start grinding the tops off of the guides. Of course, this is with the proper springs set at 1.650 height.

Hughes is taking into account the terrible angles of the 59° setup. It effectively shortens the lift at the rock by about .015". IMO, still too close. But that's me.

-
Back