Magnum + vortech

-

Dart_br

Reaction score
Hi all!

Please, let me show my new project, a 5.2 magnum supercharged. I can't deny that Bill Dedman really inspired me with his supercharged 5.9. My inicial idea was a stroker engine, so i built it, and after a intake valve failure, who decided to meet the piston, the stroker engine was destroyed. Only saved 7 rods, 5 pistons and the crankshaft. I was really sad about this, so a 5.2 magnum landed in my garage, and i was about to go to USA (i'm from Brasil), so i decide to bring a supercharger in my luggage.

The only mods i did to the teen was a very mild roller cam, a angle valve job, a cheap set of headers, m1 single plane EFI intake, a fully programable EFI, made here, in BR (www.fueltech.com.br) and that's it. Everything else is bone stock. A 904 rebuilt with shift kit is bolted in the back of this engine.
The supercharger is a vortech V3 self-contained, and i'm planning to pump 10psi in this teen. Expect at least 400 wild horses in it. And expect the botton end to survive.

Well, it's being built yet, i build everything here, in my house, by myself, as i have time. I'll post the updates.

Less talk, more pics!

Click to enlarge

Please, let me show my new project, a 5.2 magnum supercharged. I can't deny that Bill Dedman really inspired me with his supercharged 5.9. My inicial idea was a stroker engine, so i built it, and after a intake valve failure, who decided to meet the piston, the stroker engine was destroyed. Only saved 7 rods, 5 pistons and the crankshaft. I was really sad about this, so a 5.2 magnum landed in my garage, and i was about to go to USA (i'm from Brasil), so i decide to bring a supercharger in my luggage.

The only mods i did to the teen was a very mild roller cam, a angle valve job, a cheap set of headers, m1 single plane EFI intake, a fully programable EFI, made here, in BR (www.fueltech.com.br) and that's it. Everything else is bone stock. A 904 rebuilt with shift kit is bolted in the back of this engine.
The supercharger is a vortech V3 self-contained, and i'm planning to pump 10psi in this teen. Expect at least 400 wild horses in it. And expect the botton end to survive.

Well, it's being built yet, i build everything here, in my house, by myself, as i have time. I'll post the updates.

Raphael,
I am glad you decided to go to forced induction route with this project; I think you'll be surprised with the power it makes. Also, thanks for the personal credit! :) I'm happy with my supercharged car.

I'd bet you end up with at least 450HP plus... My 360 Magnum made 447 rwhp and was stock except for the (mild) cam. That's about 525 flywheel HP, I think.

Keep the timing under 19 degrees, total, and the mixtiure around 11.5:1 when employing boost and I think it will live a long, healthy, life. Be SURE to get a wideband A/F meter and use it, if you don't have one; it's all-important. Seriously; this is the best favor you can do for yourself.

Good luck!!!:cheers:
]

Attachments

• 100_3228.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 333
Looks like fun. Can only imagine, the looks on customs officer's faces. Good luck.

Raphael,
I am glad you decided to go to forced induction route with this project; I think you'll be surprised with the power it makes. Also, thanks for the personal credit! :) I'm happy with my supercharged car.

I'd bet you end up with at least 450HP plus... My 360 Magnum made 447 rwhp and was stock except for the (mild) cam. That's about 525 flywheel HP, I think.

Keep the timing under 19 degrees, total, and the mixtiure around 11.5:1 when employing boost and I think it will live a long, healthy, life. Be SURE to get a wideband A/F meter and use it, if you don't have one; it's all-important. Seriously; this is the best favor you can do for yourself.

Good luck!!!:cheers:
]

Hey Bill , thanks for the support, it really keeps me motivated!

I can tell you that 400hp would be a must, especially being a little 318. I have some questions about the ignition curve, as i can retard it as the boost increase, i'm thinking about 32 degrees in N/A phasis and retard to 21~22 with 10 psi of boost on e85. I already have a wideband a/f meter, and my efi do some corrections based on lambda readings, i'll try to keep my lambda values arround 0,80 with pressure, what is pretty good on ethanol. Is your transmission surviving all this power?

The last update, belt is in!

Is your transmission surviving all this power?

I was lucky enough to have a very good friend who makes his living building racing automatics and he modified my original '72 904 Torqueflite with some extra clutches and a Turbo Action shift kit, so the transmission has never needed attention.
I cannot give you any advice on the spark curve issue, since the distributor in my 360 Magnum with the Vortech had never had a timng light on it (true story) when I ran it on the dyno for those numbers.

I was totally ignorant of what kind of damage I could do with too much timing, and simply set the initial where it idles well..... call it beginner's luck, or whatever, but I must have been close. Only good luck I have ever had...

My slant six car with 10-pounds of boost from its turbo, is locked in (no advance of any kind; no mechanical mechanism in the distributor, and no vacuum diaphragm on the distributor,) with 18 degrees, total.
It seems to like that number; starts well with no kickback on the starter, idles like a stocker, has good drive-ability and monstrous mid-range torque, with good torque right up to its 5,500 rpm redline. Gas mileage is unbelieveably bad, however, and that is no exaggeration, but I don't drive it much on the street, so it really doesn't matter.

I wouldn't recomment this system for anybody else...

Good luck!:cheers:

Attachments

• js640_turboside.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_3649.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 276
  • js640_turbofront.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 250
lol it's almost like the slant 6 was MADE for a turbo. all that extra room to stash everything

The real reasons for a supercharger or turbo on a slant six are, it's almost impossible to get good power out of one, naturally-aspirated because of the poor-flowing head, and they seem to be built to take lots of boost. There are two FABO members whose turbo'd slant sixes make what seems to be 500+ horsepower with 1 four-barrel (no fuel injection,) a mild flat tappet cam and not much rpm (5,500.)

:wack:
It's a too well-kept secret... lol!

-
Back