Maiden Voyage

-

Ron816

Mopar forever
Reaction score
Took My 68 GTS H-code on her maiden voyage today after restoration gotta say I forgot how different these cars drive compared to today's vehicles, she has a 383, 4 speed with manual brakes and manual
IMG_1334.jpg
steering plus Coker Wide Oval bias ply redlines, Definitely a bear to drive, with the bias plys she likes every rut in the road the best way to describe is you have to drive the car.

I drove my 65 barn find home on 4 >25 year old polyglass tires and power steering. That assist really tamed the crazy tires and it was not that bad, but as you stated, you must drive it.

Beautiful car!! And you describe these old cars well. Takes you back in time. That's what makes them so much fun!!

Hand over hand, and in a panic, two feet, note how wide the pedal is!

Beautiful car! I’m sure you will enjoy it! Recently, I let my 17 year old grandson drive my ‘65 Dart GT convertible (273 auto.) He’d never driven a car without power steering or power brakes. Needless to say, he was amazed at how much effort the steering took and how. “dead” the brake pedal felt. I reminded him that I was his age when I had my four-speed Dart GoGo coupe my senior year of high school (‘66-‘67), and that I was a little shorter and lighter than he is now. He got used to it after a few minutes, and I could tell he was having a good time by the smile on his face. I’m hoping to let him drive my ‘65 GoGo coupe when it’s done (assuming I live long enough to finish it!) so he can try driving the four-speed version. I can’t believe I used to do the things I did in my high school car on bias ply tires, no power anything, and 10 inch brakes. Never underestimate the power of adrenaline.

Absolutely a trip back in time! You have a gorgeous piece of history! I'd maybe put a set of radials made to look like bias plys, but I'd be proud to own a car like her!.

-
Back