Major carb issue tonight

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
Went out for 1st cruise night of the season, all was well untill the wife and I got about 5 blocks from the house and the car died at 40mph. Thought at first my gas gauge was lying or my electric fuel pump died. Coasted to a stop and hit ignition, could here fuel pump, so that wasn't it, float bowls fuel. Next idea was ignition, maybe bad ground. Checked a bunch of connections, all was good. Tryed to fire it up, it did fire up but ran like crap and died again. I then noticed fuel pressure gauge was 4.5psi, previously set at 6.5psi. Another attempt to fire I could see fuel pissing out air bleed screws and anywhere it could filling the venturies with fuel. So it seems something went very wrong in my carb, tons of unburnt fuel went into my intake.
Towed it home, be dropping the oil and ripping carb apart. Will be testing flow and pressure from fuel pump as well.
I finally got my car leak free and now more gremlins, endless, grrr.

Anyone with ideas as to how my mighty Demon 850 suddenly went to crap in what seemed like a heartbeat? What should I look for that would let fuel just flow through carb, pretty sure that explains low pressure at gauge, no longer had same back pressure.

Thanks. I posted up some pics of tonight on the duster and demon sticky at top of this forum. Cheers

Probably a stuck needle valve from sediments of some sort in the line.
That'd be my first thought.

Probably a stuck needle valve from sediments of some sort in the line.
That'd be my first thought.

Same thing my buddy said. I have 3 fuel filters between fuel cell and carb, but maybe on a jet change something got in there. It will get good once over. I'm probably lucky not to have had all that fuel light up.

trailbeast is right its got somthing holding the needle off the seat.typical holley/demon problem.just pull it out clean it and put it back in.not a major issue at all.

Yep,stuck needle.It doesn,t take much to hold one open.Check filter closest to carb for dirt/fileings from cutting lines and adding filters.Change oil before running again.Good luck.

I've had this happen before when I let one of my cars sit too long and all the gas dried up in the carburetor. You might want to pull the top off the carb, too, and see if you have a bunch of residue inside that looks a bit like corrosion (only it's not; it's residue). I had to dip my carb in carb cleaner the last time it happened.

-
Back