Make that phone call

-
My dad died in 2006, a bit shy of 79, he never in his life left a voicemail for anyone. Mom just turned 88 a few weeks ago, she's still doing well, living in her own home yet. I will call her at least once a week and stop in for a visit from time to time, I'm not going to worry about the stupid covid crap anymore, I just would rather have a chance to see her and give her a hug now and then.

Reminds me of the time, a buddy and I went up to my farm, I have to drive past my grandpas house to get there, he was in his early 90's splitting firewood with a maul.
I stopped to help him stack his firewood, and asked him, there is a new log splitter sitting there, why are you not using it.
He replied his son, (my uncle) brought the log splitter over, and it was too slow, he could split the wood faster by hand.
He would cut the trees off his land, and haul them to his house, and cut them up for wood. He always kept a couple years of wood in his shed.
I guess you do not get old by sitting around doing nothing.
There are the three "R's" Rest, Relax and Rust

I have only completely broken down once in my 67 years. Many months after the passing of my mother, I decided it was time to take her out of the speed dial on our home phone. I felt as if I had betrayed her and completely lost it. My wife, saint that she is, gave me my space then added comfort when it was appropriate to do so. Bottom line is, MAKE THE CALL. You will never regret telling someone that you love them! Only if you don't!
Great advice Jay. They are dead a long time so get all the info from them and give them as much love and understanding as you can. You'll be in that position one day.

My dad passed at the spritely young age of 63 (me, in a couple of months) and we never saw it coming. I wish I had voicemails I had saved just to hear his voice again...
I call mom (now mid-nineties) every couple of days even if I have nothing to say. Just to let her know I still care and am thinking of her.
My dad died at 67. His dad died at 38 from a mining accident in northern England. I'm now 72 but I was concerned when I was reaching Dad's age. He would be 101 next month

My dad died in 2006, a bit shy of 79, he never in his life left a voicemail for anyone. Mom just turned 88 a few weeks ago, she's still doing well, living in her own home yet. I will call her at least once a week and stop in for a visit from time to time, I'm not going to worry about the stupid covid crap anymore, I just would rather have a chance to see her and give her a hug now and then.
At least wear a mask Linc but up to you of course.

you guys make me feel young
i talk to my parents every sunday, after church
and occasionally in between

normally we make sure we see each other once a year, but because of this scamdemic, its been too long

you guys make me feel young
i talk to my parents every sunday, after church
and occasionally in between

normally we make sure we see each other once a year, but because of this scamdemic, its been too long
Where do they live in Holland still?

Talked to my mom this morning 85 young. She is really doing good. Loves her John Deere lawn mower. Mows about 3 acres with it. Keeps up with this place. Dad passed a few years ago.

View attachment 1715697159
Agreed moms gone 2 years now dad about 14years. When I’m working on something and I mess up I can still hear the old fart in the back of my head barking at me. Makes me smile every time.
A69EBF8F-8E64-4679-9CC2-F6505987E87F.jpeg

So true and some comfort too.
That meme seems to apply to a great deal of things in our lives. I know as the grey whiskers started showing up and I gained life lessons I slowly started to look around and appreciate the things and people around me. Makes for a happier life. Give this book a read. Don’t sweat the small stuff for men. Author Richard Carlson. It will make you think how did you pry that out of my head I’m the only one who has ever thought that.

That meme seems to apply to a great deal of things in our lives. I know as the grey whiskers started showing up and I gained life lessons I slowly started to look around and appreciate the things and people around me. Makes for a happier life. Give this book a read. Don’t sweat the small stuff for men. Author Richard Carlson. It will make you think how did you pry that out of my head I’m the only one who has ever thought that.
My Aunt came over from the U.K.3 years ago. She being my last remaining family member alive we pumped her for info and found out so much. She's now almost 90 and I talk to her on Facetime and still sharp as a tack so lots of info to ask her. Once she's gone it ends right there so while your loved ones are alive get as much info as you can before their memory fades or they pass on.

Where do they live in Holland still?

yes sir...this was at their place a few weeks ago

img-20210207-wa0010-jpg.jpg

did i mention i had a doctors appointment the other day?
the nurse asked me where in the Netherlands i was from, and so i told her
(now you got to understand, this happens quite often, and the reply is always the same "never heard of it", so instead of giving her the name of the town i gave her the name of the province...and the result is usually the same)

but this girl, she told me she lived in zeeland since her husband was stationed over there
now this is getting interesting, but there are two zeelands there, a province and a town (there is also a town called zeeland about 10 miles from where i live now, but i digress)
now, the province zeeland has about 380.000 inhabitants, but the town less then 8000

so i said, wait a minute, was your husband in the airforce? and she said yes
so i figured he musta been with the 703rd MUNNS...and i was right

now it is a mere 3 miles from the airforce base Volkel (where the 703rd is stationed to the town of zeeland, BUT from that same airforce base to my parents house is just a hair over a mile

so all things considered, she lived less then 5 miles from where i used to live
needless to say...we spend a little more time then usual talking before she send the doctor in (and then after he left as well)

it was great talking to someone who knew most of the old landmarks...but it was also a little bittersweet to realize i didnt know any of the new ones

i guess ive been gone close to 2 decades now, and even there time doesnt completely stand still

oh, and no, my parents have nothing to do with the airforce base, it is just a point of reference

yes sir...this was at their place a few weeks ago

View attachment 1715697570

did i mention i had a doctors appointment the other day?
the nurse asked me where in the Netherlands i was from, and so i told her
(now you got to understand, this happens quite often, and the reply is always the same "never heard of it", so instead of giving her the name of the town i gave her the name of the province...and the result is usually the same)

but this girl, she told me she lived in zeeland since her husband was stationed over there
now this is getting interesting, but there are two zeelands there, a province and a town (there is also a town called zeeland about 10 miles from where i live now, but i digress)
now, the province zeeland has about 380.000 inhabitants, but the town less then 8000

so i said, wait a minute, was your husband in the airforce? and she said yes
so i figured he musta been with the 703rd MUNNS...and i was right

now it is a mere 3 miles from the airforce base Volkel (where the 703rd is stationed to the town of zeeland, BUT from that same airforce base to my parents house is just a hair over a mile

so all things considered, she lived less then 5 miles from where i used to live
needless to say...we spend a little more time then usual talking before she send the doctor in (and then after he left as well)

it was great talking to someone who knew most of the old landmarks...but it was also a little bittersweet to realize i didnt know any of the new ones

i guess ive been gone close to 2 decades now, and even there time doesnt completely stand still

oh, and no, my parents have nothing to do with the airforce base, it is just a point of reference
It is a small world isn't it. We met a couple while in the U.K. and they lived less than a km from us. If I hadn't said "Good Morning" to him we'd have been like ships in the night.
That's quite a bit of snow for Holland isn't it? Probably don't have the equipment to deal with it either, same as the U.K.
Do you talk to them on Facebook video or Facetime or whatsapp?

It is a small world isn't it. We met a couple while in the U.K. and they lived less than a km from us. If I hadn't said "Good Morning" to him we'd have been like ships in the night.
That's quite a bit of snow for Holland isn't it? Probably don't have the equipment to deal with it either, same as the U.K.
Do you talk to them on Facebook video or Facetime or whatsapp?

you got that right
i dont recall ever having had a snow day when i was little

my nieces had a blast with it though

a couple of years ago we figured out we could call for free using whatsapp
usually we just voicecall but it sure is nice to be able to flip it around and have my parents see the kids (or for me to show my dad what kind of electrical im stumped on)

My Aunt came over from the U.K.3 years ago. She being my last remaining family member alive we pumped her for info and found out so much. She's now almost 90 and I talk to her on Facetime and still sharp as a tack so lots of info to ask her. Once she's gone it ends right there so while your loved ones are alive get as much info as you can before their memory fades or they pass on.
A little tip that happened to my wife’s family all the old photos you have of by gone people look at them flip them over a write down the names of these people. My parents did this hers not now there’s a box of pics that nobody knows who they are. Now what?

A little tip that happened to my wife’s family all the old photos you have of by gone people look at them flip them over a write down the names of these people. My parents did this hers not now there’s a box of pics that nobody knows who they are. Now what?
sit down with some of the grandkids and have them come up with the stories behind them

sit down with some of the grandkids and have them come up with the stories behind them
Ya at least future generations won’t be looking at pics knowing that they are related but not knowing who they are or how they fit in the family

I'm not going to worry about the stupid covid crap anymore,
Now yur talking!

What I didn't do was barge into a sick-ward and get up close and personal with those that were dying.
But otherwise, it has been a non-issue for me.
Something did attack me and I got a lil sick for two or three days, but you know, I got rid of it.(Didn't even miss work.) The same way I get rid of everything that attacks me. I'd be willing to bet a dollar, that there might be a trace of -19 in me, but I don't care.
This week was a "heavy week" for me; I chucked 2250kgs of household garbage and 320kgs of recyclable containers, etc, a total of 5650 pounds of crap, up a few percent from normal. I take no precautions. In the year since the crises has been declared, I have chucked more than a quarter million pounds of garbage; including the garbage from at least two or three houses wherein live -19 persons. No precautions. The bags I chuck are not always tied closed and occasionally they don't survive the toss, and I do get garbage showers. Twice a week totaling 13 hours I police the local waste transfer station, making sure the various loads go where they are supposed to, and even helping others unload, not always with protection, on one or both parties. And on Saturdays I often get several visitors, sometimes Believers but not always, and we shoot the breeze sometimes for a couple of hours. And one old guy usually brings me a lunch.
So I have to believe that -19 is something, but I don't care; whenchit comes to me, I have the key to get rid of it.

What I didn't do was barge into a sick-ward and get up close and personal with those that were dying.
But otherwise, it has been a non-issue for me.
Something did attack me and I got a lil sick for two or three days, but you know, I got rid of it.(Didn't even miss work.) The same way I get rid of everything that attacks me. I'd be willing to bet a dollar, that there might be a trace of -19 in me, but I don't care.
This week was a "heavy week" for me; I chucked 2250kgs of household garbage and 320kgs of recyclable containers, etc, a total of 5650 pounds of crap, up a few percent from normal. I take no precautions. In the year since the crises has been declared, I have chucked more than a quarter million pounds of garbage; including the garbage from at least two or three houses wherein live -19 persons. No precautions. The bags I chuck are not always tied closed and occasionally they don't survive the toss, and I do get garbage showers. Twice a week totaling 13 hours I police the local waste transfer station, making sure the various loads go where they are supposed to, and even helping others unload, not always with protection, on one or both parties. And on Saturdays I often get several visitors, sometimes Believers but not always, and we shoot the breeze sometimes for a couple of hours. And one old guy usually brings me a lunch.
So I have to believe that -19 is something, but I don't care; whenchit comes to me, I have the key to get rid of it.
Could be your exposure to bacteria and such has strengthened your immune system. We were just talking about that. How when we were kids we played outside in the mud and cud’s. Not sitting inside in a semi sterile environment playing video games. Think that helped us build tolerance.

-
Back