Make your own tools

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
"Necessity is the mother of invention" has always been for me words to live by. On a shoestring budget, sometimes one has to be innovative and inventive to get a job done. Here is an example:

I used tin snips to cut this shape in a 1" putty knife. It is slim enough to easily slip under the stainless window trim, and is rigid enough to get good leverage under the reveal clips. The hook shape is also good for digging out dirt and old window sealant.

Anyone else have some homemade tools to show off?

Jerry

Trim Tool.JPG

Kitchen utensils! I had to clean out my motorcycle gas tank that someone once "Kreemed" and it was flaking off. Before I relined it with POR-15, I dissected an old dish rack, sharpened the ends, and used as picks to really get down inside the corners of the tank.

w2tt 002 (2).jpg

Kitchen utensils! I had to clean out my motorcycle gas tank that someone once "Kreemed" and it was flaking off. Before I relined it with POR-15, I dissected an old dish rack, sharpened the ends, and used as picks to really get down inside the corners of the tank.
Man, that dish rack was like your homemade tool "one stop shopping center".

8)

You know, thinking about it...... it sure does look like we are starting a collection of shivs that convicts make in prison. :poke: :violent1:

Y'know...prison engineering can be pretty damned impressive. If anyone's interested, I can try and send them a book I have about the variety of weapons that have been confiscated from prisons around the world. One guy here in the states managed to make a fully-functional silenced submachinegun w/ only things from the inside...

Was a time when it seemed like every other day someone came out with a new quick connect line coupling , a/c, trans cooler, etc.. We had to Magiver a tool from a hose clamp , starter shim , whatever, to do the repair and get paid.
Once upon a time, a lady had closed her locked car door on her hand. Long story short, a guy I worked with just happened to be there. He removed the antenna mast from her car and used it to slimjim the door lock. Hero for a day :)

That's one of the great things about Harbor Freight...if you need a low-carbon tool that you can cut/hammer/bend/grind into a one-time use tool for a special purpose, that's the place to get it.

I bet the wife loved the fact that you were using kitchen knives in the garage.:-D Lol - every time my wife needs the kitchen shears, I have to run out to the garage or shed to get them.

-
Back