Making a 11" flywheel work on an A body...

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
I didnt do my homework befor i bougt my clutch and flywheel, and now im stuck with an 11" clutch and flywheel. My bellhousing wont fit over the flywheel, is there any way to safely mod the housing to fit over the flywheel, and if so will the starter even fit an 11"? I would really hate to have to by another clutch set. The tranny is the A833 and a 360cid. 69 Valiant. Thanks....

My 86 power wagon had a smallblock w/11" clutch but it had a np435 trans. The bellhousing has to go on first then the flywheel goes in from the bottom. You cant put an 11" wheel in a 10.5 bellhousing.

My 86 power wagon had a smallblock w/11" clutch but it had a np435 trans. The bellhousing has to go on first then the flywheel goes in from the bottom. You cant put an 11" wheel in a 10.5 bellhousing.

but will the starter work since the bellhousing is drilled for the smaller flywheel ?????:read2: . . . 10 1/2 inch flywheel-130 tooth , 11 inch-143 tooth

If the bellhousing is made for a 130 tooth flywheel then the 143 tooth wheel wont work, the starter wont fit.

I SPOSE that if you really really are hung up on this 11" thing, you MIGHT figure a way to adapt a pickup bell, make an adapter for a passenger 4 speed, etc.

How about the vans/ pickups that used the A833 OD? Did they use 11" wheels

I am not sheer but I think most trucks had 11 inch clutches in them aspecialy the 3/4 ton ones . Look for one with a 3 on the tree and a 318 you mite get lucky. But there are no blowproofs or 833 bells in 11 inch. If you do find one of these bells it will most likely be on a pre 1972 truck. Good Luck!

wouldn't it be easier to just get the right stuff rather than rig it all up ,only to have nothing but problems???? :thumrigh: just a suggestion

I have a bell and flywheel from a LA-318 3/4 ton dodge pick up and it has a hydrolic clutch

As far as A bodies go the 11" is going to be grief from start to finish. Do all the work to get that puppy in there with whatever bell and guess what. Because it's a 143 tooth flywheel, the starter mounts farther out and you will have header fit problems.
Did this with a B and my header choices went way down. It's just my experience.

Thanks all, looks like im going to send back the 11" and pick up the 10.5", sounds like thats going to be the best bet.

How about the vans/ pickups that used the A833 OD? Did they use 11" wheels

Nope, same 10.5" clutch as the cars an it was only the light duty D100/A100's that got the A833OD. The only small block engines that got the 11" clutch were the pickups with the new process truck tranny.

here is a picture of the truck bell it will fit flat head, slant six, 318, 360 I have the bell clutch, flywheel,slave cyl everything from a 68 Dodge v8 pickup

Attachments

• MVC-770F.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 324
I messed up also, bought a 4 spd setup and found when I went to put it in the car that it was a truck bell with a 11" clutch, my tranny wouldn't even bolt to it, luckily the shop took back the clutch kit and exchanged it for the 10.5 but now I need a balanced flywheel for a 360

-
Back