Making a carbon fiber package tray

-

blue missile

Reaction score
There was some interest in carbon fiber composites in this catagory. I actually had two consecutive days off to work on this, so I thought you guys might be interested.

I know making a package tray is a basic deal, but this one has a built in full width third brake light.

First I took the original one, which was disintergrating, and transfered the pattern onto 1/4" ply. I then figured out what it was going to take to get the light visible above the bottom windsheild gasket elevation wise.
I attached a series of blocks in the needed arch to create the base of the light.
Since I already have the perf board that I am making the LED strips out of, I added the hight of the strip and attached a 1/4" back to the arc.
I then cut another piece of 1/4"ply to make the transition and create the top of the light. Fastned it on and bondo'd the seam.

I cut the carbon and dry fitted it to the piece, pre cut the peel ply and the bleeder cloth and made the bag out of 3mil poly. I then mixed and applied the epoxy, put on the peel ply and bleeder cloth. Sealed up the bag and evacuated the assembly. Five hours later I stripped the bag and plys off and trimmed the excess fabric while the composite was still a little flexible.
Pictures are included.
Andrew

package tray #1.jpg

package tray #2.jpg

package tray #3.jpg

package tray #4.jpg

package tray #5.jpg

package tray #6.jpg

The 1/4" ply remains, Dont know if I'm cutting speaker holes, a thin sheet of carbon would tend to crack at the attachment points and a 1/4" of carbon is alot of plys.Figure 8-10 plys would do it. Figure $8-$10 per sq ft per ply.
Andrew

Just thought you guys would like to see rear light lit up. I just got half of the leds for proof of concept. Ill get the rest later.
Oh by the way I know you guys will scold me but yes it does light up in red and blue to be selected at the switch panel in the console.
Andrew

package tray #7.jpg

package tray #8.jpg

package tray #9.jpg

Hey, Blue, nice look. How do you determine how much resistance to put into the circuit to light the LEDs?

VERY NICE ! Blue might be illegal in many states.

OK
illeagal mabey thats why its switchable.
As far as the circuit requirements, I cheated. I bought 9" strips at harbor freight already set up for 12 volts. Past that I think its around 250 ohms per led.
I actually have to sit down and write part ninteen but it will be there soon. I am glad to see that it is entertaining some of you.
Once I get past that part all of these posts will be continued over there under the continuing build. If you think this is mad engineering you aint seen nothing yet!:toothy10:

Andrew:glasses9:

-
Back