Making a fan shroud

-

Mean416

Reaction score
Hey y'all. Little side project here. I'm running a 16in electric fan and decided to have a shroud made. This is for an eBay radiator the car came with.

Screenshot_20210820-120102~2.png

Mockup test fitment (of course the moment I walked in the door :^)

All looking good!
IMG_20210820_162142.jpg
IMG_20210820_162203.jpg
IMG_20210820_162150.jpg

I use solid works and Autodesk inventor. This was solid works.

I thought so on the SolidWorks. I've never used Inventor. Designed tons of parts with SolidWorks, although I don't think its as good as it used to be. Seems pretty buggy.

I thought so on the SolidWorks. I've never used Inventor. Designed tons of parts with SolidWorks, although I don't think its as good as it used to be. Seems pretty buggy.
I prefer inventor more because I'm in better practice. overall solidworks is better TBH.

Nice job, but you are blocking off a huge amount of airflow with the very nice baffle you have made. Expect it to run hot on the freeway....

Nice job, but you are blocking off a huge amount of airflow with the very nice baffle you have made. Expect it to run hot on the freeway....

Bewy, I was thinking of something like that also. Doesn't the solid part of the shroud block the air flow through the radiator at cruising speed. Thanks

Bewy, I was thinking of something like that also. Doesn't the solid part of the shroud block the air flow through the radiator at cruising speed. Thanks

after experimenting with fans and shrouds all last summer , that thin shroud blocked airflow on mine , jfyi .

I was wondering the same thing. I see louvers on some shrouds and figured it was to facilitate airflow at speed.

However I've done this before and still experience better cooling when moving than when still.

Worst case I can just make a new one with some slots for airflow.

You designed it like factory shrouds. The solid areas make the fan more effective. The fans effectiveness drops when there is t a shroud. There is still 16 inches worth of air flow where the fan is. I don’t see a problem.

On my rides, (1/2 of them anyway) the factory cooling system has never been a problem. The factory set ups are on a ‘67 Cuda and a ‘73 Cuda. Both with healthy compression ratios and sizable cams. On my Duster, it has a extra thick, tall & wide aluminum Champion radiator that has no shroud. Performance TBA. On my ‘79 Magnum, it has a AutoZone replacement radiator and no shroud. Powered by a 5.9 with headers and a RPM intake. No other bolt on performance parts or upgraded cam. Maybe 300hp? No shroud no issues.

I was wondering the same thing. I see louvers on some shrouds and figured it was to facilitate airflow at speed.

However I've done this before and still experience better cooling when moving than when still.

Worst case I can just make a new one with some slots for airflow.

Gotta love people input, "Good job at failing...." with not actual design help.

Anyway, I've seen some factory doors that open with as air flow across the radiator then close when stopped, some are just plastic doors on a loose hinge to a riveted piece of light rubber (I'd use sheet Buna, like 50 to 60 Durometer). At a stop the fan will pull them closed and pull across the core.

My concern is clearance to the water pump snout, based on what I see on my set up. But you're designing so that's probably taken into account.

Gotta love people input, "Good job at failing...." with not actual design help.

Anyway, I've seen some factory doors that open with as air flow across the radiator then close when stopped, some are just plastic doors on a loose hinge to a riveted piece of light rubber (I'd use sheet Buna, like 50 to 60 Durometer). At a stop the fan will pull them closed and pull across the core.

My concern is clearance to the water pump snout, based on what I see on my set up. But you're designing so that's probably taken into account.

I tried those too, didnt help my situation at all---

Your concern was well founded. I didn't have nearly the clearance I was expecting. I need to find a lower profile fan and may have to make some tweaks. Bummer!

I tried those too, didnt help my situation at all---

The flapper doors? I think the biggest issue is there isn't an electric fan that flows enough and clears everything short of modifying OEM fans like the HHR, Contour, MKVIII, etc fans to fit. The aluminum radiators are thicker and that thickness is biased to the engine so that takes away room.

Hayden has a “Muscle Car” AKA very short, clutch that I used. My 4 core Champion radiator isn’t exactly flush with bent flanges, but… it don’t rub!
ECB143BB-EB9D-4F3C-9C6F-B22BFCFEC570.jpeg

-
Back