Making a Slant 6 look, and sound cool

-

FlyingFalcon

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, a few months back, I bought my first car. A 1970 Dodge Dart with a Slant 6 under the hood. Now that summer has come, I'm really starting to get serious about the car.

My question is, how can I make my Slant 6 look, and most importantly, sound cool? Like any teenager with a muscle car, I want my car to turn heads and sound really loud and mean, and will get the attention of the ladies haha.

Right now, I just don't have the money to upgrade to a bigger engine. Plus, Slant 6's are super reliable and an all around great engine.

Any and all suggestions and tips are appreciated! Thanks FABO!

-Cameron

So is a v8. You wanna put a cam in it? Sound should reflect performance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUPGcWydflk"]Slant 6 start up 2 turbo - YouTube[/ame]

I'm going to run a triple SU carb set-up, an Offy valve cover that Leanna made look killer and 6 into 2 headers in a rebuilt and upgraded slant in my 65 Dart wagon. That ought to take care of the looking good under the hood with some motivation power and a decent sound as well. Your mileage will vary on what you do.

I've got another slant that will get a similar treatment but with triple Webers

Attachments

• intakes 007.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,147
  • car stuff 010.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,006
  • more misc 003.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 987
I'm going to run a triple SU carb set-up, an Offy valve cover that Leanna made look killer and 6 into 2 headers in a rebuilt and upgraded slant in my 65 Dart wagon. That ought to take care of the looking good under the hood with some motivation power and a decent sound as well. Your mileage will vary on what you do.

Oh wow, that's gonna look incredible. Way out of my league of things I can do with my car engine currently, but wow.

Hey Cameron, there's a lot you can do to dress up the engine and the engine compartment just by detailing, painting, colored wires etc. As far as getting it to sound like a V8 or even resemble the sound, that's probably going to be a difficult task.

All of the /6's I have had in my younger days, and I had a bunch, always sounded like angry bees.

Hey Cameron, there's a lot you can do to dress up the engine and the engine compartment just by detailing, painting, colored wires etc. As far as getting it to sound like a V8 or even resemble the sound, that's probably going to be a difficult task.

All of the /6's I have had in my younger days, and I had a bunch, always sounded like angry bees.

What are some parts that I could paint an detail? I'm already planning to paint the air cleaner (A mix of black and the body color I'm going with), and/or maybe put a Super Six decal on it.

Thanks!

Slants can sound really nice with a cam...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmrpoPXC05Q"]Slant 6 Barracuda "Performance Test" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGxNHJqX4ls"]1969 Dodge Dart Swinger Hyperpack 4 Speed - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2AwfMklGHs"]supercharged slant six lifting a tire again - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrAqCYhAI5I"]11 second Slant Six Valiant Station Wagon - Mopars North of the Gate 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

The op sounds exactly like me when I first got my dart.

I wen with headers and glass packs. A lot of people don't like the sound of glass packs but I loved it with the headers on the slant.

Also paint the motor and maybe keep an eye out for a cool valve cover. Also get some nice plug wires and a cool air cleaner.

This may sound really cheesey but you can make them look good and sound good on a tight budget. Enjoy and save up!

The op sounds exactly like me when I first got my dart.

I wen with headers and glass packs. A lot of people don't like the sound of glass packs but I loved it with the headers on the slant.

Also paint the motor and maybe keep an eye out for a cool valve cover. Also get some nice plug wires and a cool air cleaner.

This may sound really cheesey but you can make them look good and sound good on a tight budget. Enjoy and save up!

Does it have something to o with the impressing the ladies part? Haha. I'm almost positive I'm going with a glass pack, not sure on headers, simply because of price.

Trying to figure out what color I should paint the motor. May just stick with the blue it as now, as my car is going to be a shade of blue. Where might I get colored plug wires? Ebay?

So is a v8. You wanna put a cam in it? Sound should reflect performance.

Now that's helpful.... :roll:

Flying Falcon, replace the stock muffler with a cherry bomb, that will sound better.
Look for a "super six" 2bbl intake and carb. You could put A LOT of money into the slant 6 like the other replies suggest, but I figure you don't have the money right now. Make sure she's tuned up so she can perform best as possible now.

My advice is, if you are going to V8 the car in the future at any point, leave the slant alone. You will have to spend twice the money on it than a V8.

My advice is, if you are going to V8 the car in the future at any point, leave the slant alone. You will have to spend twice the money on it than a V8.

This is very true. Are you dead set on having a v8 though. Hot slants are rare and to me that makes them cool. I went down the same path as you and had a v8 in the car by the time I was 18. There are days now though that I miss the slant and the mentality I had with it. My friends and I would take the car anywhere without even thinking. Now that I am older and my car is less practicle it just doesn't happen.

DONT BE IN A HURRY TO GO FAST. Enjoy your time with the slant!

attachment.php

I have got to see what that looks like when you have it on the block and ready for going in the engine compartment! That intake and valve cover look AWESOME together!

Leanna does some bitchin work yeah! WOW!
She do the valve cover I know, but did she also do the intake with the "Offy" colored in?

Everyone's definition of "cool" is different. Here is my slant with stock cam with 2.25 exhaust and a glasspack.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw68-MZn__M"]Slant Six 2.25" exhaust with glasspack - YouTube[/ame]

I used Eastwood 2-part engine paint in the original '72 colors. But they have lots of colors if you want something custom. The paint lays down nice - I brush painted everything without removing the engine from the car.
[URL="https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JZpAZo8pKVI/U1otN06Nj-I/AAAAAAAABgA/i0Cq0ZrYIQU/w469-h625-no/photo+2.JPG"][/URL]

Maybe add a cool decal
[URL="https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1UTm0e-xLn0/U3N9m7J0dKI/AAAAAAAABnY/OMKvDL99R5E/w747-h560-no/photo+3.JPG"][/URL]

That ^^^^^ sounds very nice.

I would clean up the engine, paint what you want, and save all your performance money for the V8 swap IF that is your plans for the future. If you want to add a little performance to the slant without breaking the bank, I would suggest cutting the head .060 and adding the super six (2bbl set up). This really wakes the slant up for everyday driving.

What is with the solex carbs ?

I can visualize your fuel gauge as it plummets when you put your foot on the gas.. do you see 6 mpg ?

Now that's helpful.... :roll:

Flying Falcon, replace the stock muffler with a cherry bomb, that will sound better.
Look for a "super six" 2bbl intake and carb. You could put A LOT of money into the slant 6 like the other replies suggest, but I figure you don't have the money right now. Make sure she's tuned up so she can perform best as possible now.

Already got the cherry bomb picked out! Been looking for decent deal on a Super Six package. Thanks!

-
Back