making car mobile without a k-member

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
One of my options for a body shop wants the k-member removed. My question is how do you still make the car moveable, have had a few ideas, but want to see how others have done it.
Thanks

The only thing I can think of would be to somehow attach swivel casters to the frame rails.

Chuck

you want to tow it? If the rear end is in, and such... Just make a tow bar that bolts to the frame rails and connects to the hitch ball on your truck, tow it like a trailer. No front wheels, will simply be a trailer..

Here is how I did mine, works good.
Rat

Kdolly1.jpg

I have a car trailer, just trying to figure out how I would get it on and off of the trailer. Rat that was one of my ideas but using bigger casters.

heres what I made , 8" casters , 3" square tubing for the bottom piece , 2" square tubing for the verticals . It has the same width as stock from center to center. Fits my trailer nicely
Donnie

My Cuda teardown for paint  resized0013.jpg

Mine mounted out on the front for easy lifting of the of the front. Car was painted this way too.

dolly01img.jpg

rollingdollyundercarimg.jpg

firstcoatofbaseonbodyimg.jpg

There are the casters that are air filled balloon tires, I think each one can hold about 600 lbs, probably roll easier and smoother up a car ramp..

I like this place, there are lots of good ideas and pictures to prove it.. heheh

Probably go with something along the lines of donnielwasons, cause my trailer wouldn't be long enough with it mounted at the bumper. What type of caster did you use, I looked at a couple places this weekend and saw rubber wheels(kind of a fraid they would develop a flat spot), polyeurathane wheels, plastic and steel. Thinking of 8" to make it easier (hopefully) to load on the trailer. Will have to scrounge around our junk pile or go to a steel supplier for the materials because we can only get steel for home projects at work on the last friday of the month and it now has to be approved by 2 people. Any idea of what the wieght on the front would be? 67 Dart convertible, full interior, no engine, trans(obviuosly), no front bumper.
Thanks

Hey, 67, that is one wild looking six you have there.

Probably go with something along the lines of donnielwasons, cause my trailer wouldn't be long enough with it mounted at the bumper. What type of caster did you use, I looked at a couple places this weekend and saw rubber wheels(kind of a fraid they would develop a flat spot), polyeurathane wheels, plastic and steel. Thinking of 8" to make it easier (hopefully) to load on the trailer. Will have to scrounge around our junk pile or go to a steel supplier for the materials because we can only get steel for home projects at work on the last friday of the month and it now has to be approved by 2 people. Any idea of what the wieght on the front would be? 67 Dart convertible, full interior, no engine, trans(obviuosly), no front bumper.
Thanks

Got the casters off ebay from Access Casters
8" Casters Poly on Iron Wheel 2 Rigid 2 Swivel BRAKE

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Casters-Poly-...md=ViewItem&pt=BI_Casters&hash=item1c0b4f036a

It rolls very easy , Its bolted to the car , 1 bolt per corner :)

Thanks, was thinking of using the k-member mounting holes, figuring shipping prices are pretty close to local, maybe I can see where we get ours at work. Debating on enfine on k-member and lowering car or install k-member then gently set engine in. The gently part is what I have troulbe with, they say let it down a little and I set it won a little too quickly. But that is a ways off yet.

Thanks agian.

-
Back