making "checking" lifters

-

Idaho

Reaction score
Found this on a Ford forum. Wondering if this will work for the lifters in a 5.9 Magnum.

Images did not copy. Here's the link:

http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=57.0

Need a solid roller lifter to check piston-to-valve clearance on your hydraulic roller cammed 5.0L or 5.8L Ford?

Save a couple bucks and make your own out of an old stock lifter. The lifter at left (below) is a disassembled stocker. To turn it into a checking lifter, you trash the spring and flip the main plunger 180 degrees until your lifter looks like the one in the center.

The lifter on the right (above) is the finished product, marked with a yellow band so it won't get mixed up with its hydraulic cousins.

Do It Yourself Checking Roller Lifter

So you want to check piston-to-valve clearance on your hydraulic roller cammed small block Ford, but don't have the cash for an expensive solid checking lifter? Then do what hot rodders have always done: make your own. It's actually pretty simple: just take the lifter apart, grind .020 in. off the main plunger, remove the spring, flip the main plunger around, and reassemble. Presto -- a solid checking lifter.
Courtesy of http://www.trickflow.com/articles/stroker_1/#

Added: and to clarify some questions.....
You could also flip the plunger and not grind the .020" off, the snap ring will be a little difficult to install but it will work. If you intend to use the lifter in your build, disassemble it, flip the main plunger to its original position, reinstall the spring and reassemble the lifter. That's how I prepared the 4 lifters I have for degreeing cams, checking valvetrain geometry and PtV.

Hi, Arlie

I'd say this is pretty much common sense, and it might depend on the brand of lifter / type of construction. I've got one old hydraulic (flat tappet) that I just took all the guts out of, and the original top piece which the pushrod fits into sits down in on a shoulder. Easy.

I'd just tear one apart and see what you find.

Also, I have a summit dial indicator kit if you want to borrow it, be happy to help you

I've never taken a lifter apart. I guess it won't hurt to experiment. I'm not sure what the installed height of the lifter should be.

Thanks for the offer - I have a dial indicator. I plan to install checker springs and use it to check clearance rather than the clay method.

Just found this,Idaho. Disassemble a lifter,take out the plunger. Hardware store bound,you are. Used standard lock washers,that fit in the lifter bore.Stacked until the top plate was near the retainer clip margin. Easy.

A little confused on this subject.

1) will the weight of the pushrod really compress a hydraulic lifter enough to make a difference ?

2) wouldn't the improvised lifter need to be the exact dimension of the ones you intend to run?

Not the push rod weight,the valve spring pressure x the rocker arm ratio. The lifters bleed down to quick,to get a honest check. Second question, yes. WHY you pull the hydraulic plunger/spring,and solid load it with washers.Then you drop the push rod bucket back in. A trial & error thing.You need that lifter solidly stacked,to act as a oil pumped lifter. This is how you safely check p.r. length,cheaply.

i know this is complicated and all but why not but a checking spring on instead of a valve spring?

Just received RHS heads from Brian. After thinking about this, it makes sense to me to get some light hardware store springs for "checker springs" to do the valve clearance check.
Seems to me one still needs a solid lifter, otherwise how do you know your lifter is not bled down? Also, in making a checker lifter, not sure how to determine what the lifter height should be.

Edit: the height that provides zero lash?? :sign3:

I've got time to figure it out as I don't have rocker arms or push rods yet. I think I'll need a "checker push rod" too.

The light checking springs,run 20-30 open Idaho. Wouldn't worry. Sorry,for any inconvience,never used them.

More confused now.... We are talking about setting hydraulics right ?

Bottom of cam lobe , set to zero lash , add 1 turn of adjuster or so...?

To calculate pushrod length ... Do same procedure minus extra turn using adjustable pushrod length checker thingy magiggy whatchyamacallit..? ..that is in my top drawer...lol

Why the concern about spring tension ? Apperently no one else is confused so I must be missing something here.

More confused now.... We are talking about setting hydraulics right ?

Bottom of cam lobe , set to zero lash , add 1 turn of adjuster or so...?

To calculate pushrod length ... Do same procedure minus extra turn using adjustable pushrod length checker thingy magiggy whatchyamacallit..? ..that is in my top drawer...lol

Why the concern about spring tension ? Apperently no one else is confused so I must be missing something here.

piston to valve clearance. they want to make some rigged lifter vs installing a checking spring.

I see.... I must not have read thouroughly . I thought it was just for measuring pushrod length.

when checking valve clearance why not just remove spring while cylander is compressed , install a tight rubber band around valve stem above the seal ( have piston at TDC ) release air pressure and measure from there.

mbaird;1970152777]More confused now.... We are talking about setting hydraulics right ?

The intent is to check valve to piston clearance. Does that clarify?

Edit: you posted just before me :)

That might be a creative way to do it. Not sure it would keep the valve snug on its seat and allow movement without falling into the cylinder.

the reason i was confused is because I am just about ready to measure for pushrods and my Lunati cam install instructions makes reference toa special solid lifter they sell for checking pushrod length. I coouldn't figure out why I needed a solid lifter to measure it....,.

So it was on my mind when i saw this post.

compressed air in the cylinder, swap springs... again making some wonky lifter dosn't seem accurate.
No wonkiness,Edster. Lock washers preloaded,against the wire retainer. Making it essentially a solid ,for mockup valvetrain geometry....

-
Back