making fiberglass parts! uhaha

-

440valiant

cuda
Reaction score
hey,

im just trying to lighten up the load and wondering how hard it is to make your own fiberglass hood. I dont think it would be too hard because i could just use the original hood as a mold? How would i do this? is it posssible? anything.....

thanks

:snakeman:

There are a lot of short tutorials on youtube about
molding and building molds.
Also a lot on fiberglassing.
Most end with an address to a site that gives more
instruction and product info.
Go to youtube main page and search molding.

i was in the boatbuilding business for years. all i can tell you is that making a mold and subsequent parts is not something you should try with limited experience.

with the work you'll have to do... and the price of fiberglass and let's not forget the smell and scratching and schatching... it will cost less to buy one on ebay

I agree there is always glass parts for sale reasonably priced but glass is not easy to work with and the time and stink and dust are horrible I used to work in a cabinet shop that makes everything you see in a mickey dees and the tiny fglass shop we had was the biggest pain in the *** you could ever be around

i built fiberglass kickpanles with component speaker enclosures for my 69 dart. it gets pretty expensive playing with fiberglass. you will have to make a mold off an original part, then make the part. you might as well just buy a quality part already made. i would make projects again, but it would be things that are not readily available. or way out of reach. its not bad to work with but dont think for one minute you are going to make a hood out of one layer of cloth and a quick coat of resing on top of your existing hood, pop it off and me done. there really is a lot of work involved.

I worked at a hot rod shop that built fiberglass hot rods turn key www.claytoncustomcars.com so i can tell you,theres a lot of work involved with making nice pieces,that you want to show out in public.We had a nice gelcoat gun,fiberglass chopper/sprayer set up,and it was still a lot of work.When you are making a mold off something,that piece has to be perfect.It has to have perfect paint,and you have to wax it with REAL WAX,like 5 times,so what you spray/lay over it doesent stick.Once you have the mold made,same deal.Has to be perfect inside,and waxed like 5 times.As some of you know,real carnabu wax can work you to death with just one application,but you wouldnt want all that work to go to waste would ya?Since ive gotten into A bodies so much lately,ive considered making some parts to sale,but the cost would be too high,and i have no room for all the molds.I have been working on a front spoiler,from scratch,since i cant find an old dc one to make a mold off of,but its a lot of work,and its slow!lol

there was a guy in new york that had some pretty wild a bodies some from england, tweety i think was his name, he has molds for abody parts and i think was looking to sell them. he was a member on a few boards.

Save your self the hassel, time and money and just use the money to buy one off line.

My Dad had a shop make the speeker boxs from glass. They had the car but still did not get it right. They did not fit. so we cut them down and re did them. It was not to hard but we had somthing to work with all ready. I would say there are some things on your car you could make from glass. But with out a lot of experiance I would not try a hood. Mabby you could work your way up to it but I would not make the hood the first thing you do out of glass. Just IMOA though.

100_0905.jpg

-
Back