making my 74 dodge dart swinger a bit better

-

Norway-dart

Reaction score
Hi!
first, a little about me.:)newb:) I work as a boat mechanic at a Volvo Penta shop, married, 2 boys, and some cars. This Dart was traded for a nice 69 Polara( I wanted a A-body), and to my surprise, I found out this was not a good deal.A lot of rust that was covered with bondo. (anyone?) this dart was sold new in norway, 318,904 and 8 1/4. column shift. ps.

started restoration about 3 years ago with little success(terrible garage).
did not have the time either with a old house that need alot of work, new garage, wife,kids, work etc... guess you know...

the first picture was after fixing the worst, just to get it on the road and cruise a little... but as everything was worn, and there were problems, I decided to do it a bit more serious. that said, Im not the person that does it 100%. youll se that. I just dont have the patience.
some of you se that much is done this year, thats because here in norway when we get a baby, I may take 60 days full paid off from work within 3 years to be with the kid. as my wife work night, Im able to do alot on the car getting paid from the gov:D thanx

last I have to say sorry for strange english..just ask if there is something you dont understand.:D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 283
  • 10.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 9.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 8.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 7.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 6.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 5.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 4.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 267
well, I just add pics until as far as I have come...

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 262
  • 19.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 18.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 17.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 277
  • 16.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 15.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 14.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 13.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 261
  • 12.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 11.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 253
the drivetrain would be: 360,727 and 8 1/4 with suregrip
engine is megasquirted. Im about to make a new sheet metal intake.
Turbo is in the plans, but not at this stage.

is it possible to add text within the pics when I attach multiple pics??

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 27.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 26.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 25.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 277
  • 24.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 23.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 22.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 285
  • 21.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 267
well, I cant find a way to put a comment to each picture.... just ask if there is something. in the future I will use another picture-server and insert image-button to be able to comment if there is alot of pics.

Later

Norway Dart it looks good so far. Keep up the good work. Nice to see some Love those 74's

thanks! if the founds dont let me down too much, I think it will be a car out of it:D but Im not a fan of the 74 front(big bumper) and rear , so I work with some plans on that. I think rear will be something custom. front i dont know yet.

Looks like you have been a busy man! keep going and make sure to take LOTS of pictures!

Just me id put a70 or 71 front end on it. Good progress looks great!!

I would love to! but theyre soo expensive:protest:
I will try to update often with pics:)
just now there will be a week break. I have almost every bolt and bracet sent to be gold chromed(??) I dont know what the word is in english, you know those bolts that look yellow/gold.

in between Ill try to restore an old Opel kadett that me and my brothers want to give to our father as hes soon will be 60,and newer had time to have a old timer as he always wantet

Attachments

• opel.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 239
keeep the fire burning looking like a gr8 shop and and nice jump on car again keep your health you got it on the run now nice work

well, time for an update...
opened the 8 1/4 to install the locker(needed for proper burnout), and discovered alot of pitting issues in the bearings. typical for cars thats not being abused:cheers:
img974.jpg

Im a bit dissapointed.. only 39 years of service...:D

while at it, I ordered new bearings up front and timken repair-bearing for the driveshafts rear.
may they last 39 new years?

and some bad phone-pics of body work...like many other say...how cool is it to see this... there are at least 5 different colors on this car, som the body lines is somewhat faded and not stright any more....
I read a tip that I gonne use to make them sharp again. mark a stright line and then mask with tape two or three layers on top of each other, then som bondo up against the tape, then shave it straight with sandpaper...dow to the tape. then remove tape and add filler on the other side. this way you get the bodyline sharp and visible.. as long as I dont roll the paper over the edge:eek:ops:
img969.jpg

the body is not in good shape, and the best part is Im even worse with bodywork, so this is gonne be fun!

img970.jpg

for the rear light-project, I have tried to just cut the backlight in 2 pieces... Il move the reverse light another place..hang on!
img976.jpg

more like this... too bad the gap over the light dont line up with the end of the backlight...
baklys.jpg

thats it for now...Ill be back

well, time for some news i think

the rubber was shot, and I tried the drill-tip I read about here on FABO, but the outher shell was rusted so bad that I just break my drillbits. Decided to use force.
cimg1947.jpg

that did it... they were ready for retirement
cimg1950.jpg

then I sandblasted the springs , and shot them with primer and 4 coats of 2k flat black
cimg1952.jpg

then.... some acid to remove rust from some smaller parts...
cimg1941.jpg

cimg1945.jpg

cimg1946.jpg

the master cylinder internals didnt like the fluid thou... had some summitbucks laying around, and ordered a new reman. one. cheaper complete unit than a rebuild kit. I clearly dont understand math...
cimg1944.jpg

-
Back