Making my own Upper A Arms.

-

Lakeeffect

Drive Fast , Take Chances
Reaction score
http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=...A-Arms, Upper&ssub=A-Arms, Adjustable Premier

Any thoughts ?

Its the correct ball joint. I would use Greasable Heims though.

picview.php

i could be wrong and have been before but i think thats for chevy abody... that com. does dirt and sprint type and i get the mag. from them time to time...they do have some nice stuff that looks like you can ad. to a mopar ex. some of the brake cal. mounts......but now you couls call and ask to be sure... let us know how it works out for you...

I know they use the Mopar Big Ball Joint. Most Circle Track cars use the GM metric bolt in type or Mopar Screw in type. My dad races Circle and gave me the idea just figured i would throw it out there .

i think it can be done but with some time and fig... cause i have thought about the brakes forsure....right now i have the small spindle but not sure how or where i can get a aftermarket type rotor and cal. to fit the small spindle due to the size of the inner and outter bearings....but with some tricks i think a mount wouldnt be a problem...but what do i know....so dont let me rain on your idea just wanted to say that from that comp. it was a chevy abody ....

Figured i would follow up. Got them built. Had to put a bend in the Swedg tubing but had them Mandrel Bent by a friends Chassis shop. Test drive felt great even with just a home Caster/Camber bubble gauge home alignment.

Attachments

• Photo07311524.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 349
Now that you've got my attention, it's time for the fifty questions (not quite but almost)
Cost?
Strictly bolt together from sourced pieces aside from the tubing/bends, or fabricated (ball joint carriers, Heim joint spacers, etc.)?
Final installed caster camber specs?
Range of adjustability?
Ease of repeatability for making more than one set?
Harshness compared to urethane or rubber?
Estimated durability on the street? Did you end up using greaseable or sealed rods ends that will live with minimal maintenance for instance?
Would you do it again?

Greasable heim? Hmm. Aren't the strongest u-joints not greasable, because it takes away from the strength? (and I know the cross-drilling). And the grease would never get on the other side of the heim sleeve, to the shaft/bolt/pivot.
Just throwing this out there.

hey i say good damn job man looks great keep us posted on how they work once you start driven it more and get the alig. done...mike:cheers:

Now that you've got my attention, it's time for the fifty questions (not quite but almost)
Cost?
Strictly bolt together from sourced pieces aside from the tubing/bends, or fabricated (ball joint carriers, Heim joint spacers, etc.)?
Final installed caster camber specs?
Range of adjustability?
Ease of repeatability for making more than one set?
Harshness compared to urethane or rubber?
Estimated durability on the street? Did you end up using greaseable or sealed rods ends that will live with minimal maintenance for instance?
Would you do it again?

We used a lot of pieces my father had lying around from his E-mod dirt track car. The Heims are Cromoly , non greaseable. We welded the tabs to the ball-joint collar ourselves. I don't have my note book here at school. Next week ill get back to you about final specs.

Don't know about Vrs urethane or rubber. My first Abody and Never Drove it stock. It took a little thinking and some time. Nothing too extream. If we made another would want hexed end on the tubing. The adjustments are kinda a pain with the bent/oval tubing. All the stuff besides the bent tubing is available at southwestspeed.com.

It cost me Probably around 200 But 80 of that went into one ball joint. If you wanted just stock type than ya wouldn't cost that much.

-
Back