Making your own sub frame connector?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
My friend says that he has some round stock sitting around, You think there is a way to use round stock as a connector? It would be kind of hard to weld round stock to the frame though wouldn't it?

Just thought I'd ask?

My friend says that he has some round stock sitting around, You think there is a way to use round stock as a connector? It would be kind of hard to weld round stock to the frame though wouldn't it?

Just thought I'd ask?

I'd recommend heavy wall square tubing, the stuff is cheap bought in 20 ft lengths, you should only need one.

Terry

2x3 .125 or thicker 8ft would be plenty.

roticery work 029 (Small).jpg

roticery work 027 (Small).jpg

P1000249 (Small).JPG

Shoot Gary, member Codfish, a PM.

He built his out of round tube. Side by side 1.25" tubing IIRC

Cracked back- I did find a old post of his where he shows a picture. Very cool!
I sent him a PM as well. Thanks a lot!

I'll look into all suggestions though. I'm not so sure I want to cut into my floor though???

Thanks!

Why cant you guys live close to me. I know how to do this with all the tools and we could pull it in the shop and by night fall have you underway with complete frame connectors. Life is not always good.
Small Block

I like the home made subframe conncector but I want to weld mine to the floor and use a u channel instead of box tube.Saves a few pounds and might be stronger due to being welded to the floor.

I have a plan to make a template first and then use it to build the subframe connectors.

Just thought I'd ask?

two pieces of 44" square tubing size 2 x 4 or something like that?, Oh crap...I forgot the size but remember they were 44" long pieces. I was going to do this a while back and looked into it. I have an entire tech article on this in one of my old mopar mags and they are easy to do and look practically factory when done. I'll see what I can dig up for ya. It looks like others here have done this conversion as well

Very nice welds MoparDude! Question, looks like you countersunk the plug weld holes, is this for weld penatration or ?

I did mine out of 2x4 square tubing. Bought a contour gauge from Harbor Freight and transferred the contour of the floor pan to the tubing and cut the tubing to fit the floorboards. Had to add a couple small pieces on each side because the 4" wasn't deep enough to reach the floor in a couple places. Worked fine but took a bit of time.

Very nice welds MoparDude! Question, looks like you countersunk the plug weld holes, is this for weld penatration or ?

Thanks. But I can't take all the credit for those welds, my friend did them...And yes, the countersunk holes is for more weld penetration...I don't have updated pics of those connectors fully welded in, but I finished welded all the way around the front plate of the connector by the torsion bar mount, filled the rest of the plug welds, and stitch welded around the rear mount that caps the rear frame as well..

Cracked back- I did find a old post of his where he shows a picture. Very cool!
I sent him a PM as well. Thanks a lot!

I'll look into all suggestions though. I'm not so sure I want to cut into my floor though???

Thanks!

Here's a pic.

You have a PM.

gary
000_0498.jpg

-
Back