Man, F@#K my car...

-

LXguy

Reaction score
So, today was my little girl's "graduation" ceremony. Silly to have a graduation from daycare type stuff to real school type stuff, but whatever, go and show support, demonstrate that school is a priority and all that.

Dad love = no JohhnyCamaroMullet/LatrellePantsAroundtheAnkles showing up when she's 16 (I hope).

So the *1 year* old rubber section of fuel line between the tank and hard line on the car has disintegrated and dripped fuel all night, turning my garage into a really bad situation waiting to happen.

Of course too, its impossible to fix a problem like that without ending up swimming in fuel. Needless to say, by the time I had gotten it cleaned up, and reshowered I had missed the ceremony.

I visually checked that hose when I pulled the car out of storage, but the split was on the back between the nipple and the tank. Hose was all dried out and ate up.

It is actual fuel line I purchased when i redid the fuel tank, not vacuum hose or something stupid. Methinks they are putting more than 10% ethanol in the fuel in Illinois.

I've never had a problem like this before. I wonder if its going to eat up my push-lock hose at the front of the car too..

I have the destroyed section of fuel line, which I'll take to the parts store where I bought it and get to hear "so what?" I'm sure.

Pretty hard to have a racing hobby and do parenting the right way without this kind of crap.

Sorry for the mini rant. Very frustrating.

I will gladly take that fuel leaky beauty off your hands/. I'll even pay shipping !

I hear you on the graduations for the kids. My kids had them for Preschool and Kindergarten, My son has one for 3rd grade. (4th grade is in a different school) and my Daughter is having one for moving from a Girl Scout Daisey to a Brownie. They sure like to keep the parents busy. Sorry you missed it.

Are you using that new ethanol fuel line from gates? I have had a hard time finding it here in Oregon but when I did it made a huge difference. I had bought some regular fuel line for a dummy tank we run to start engines before we pull and clean the tank and that crap only lasted two weeks. I was so angry. Then the guy I deal with at car quest told me about this gates fuel line for ethanol fuel. I think it called Green stripe or something. It works great so far( about six months) its about two times as much but is worth it so far. Good luck with it Justin

STA BIL has a new product. It says ETHANOL in big letters right on the bottle. Use it. It works.

Sounds rough, but lemme give you a little insight into a month in the life of "Cooter"...

First off, I met the wifey with four kids. (I know, just add water). Anyway, For the past 17 Years, I've had the typical BS with kids eveyr parent goes through, but I was determined to give the yongest son a little "Cooler" dad than the other kids at the HS.
First off, let him help with the cars, built him a 1966 plymouth Belvedere II with 450 HP 440, 4-speed, and Dana 60 rear, with 3.54:1 Sure Grip. Got it running and almost in paint before he leaves for the Military. Sounds all "Norman Rockwell" right?

Fast foward to about a month ago. I trusted him completely. Had one of his typical buddies with him in from about an hour away, and got him to come by the house and drop off something I had him pick up for his mother. I shoulda/would/coulda looked out the door and stopped what was inevidably gonna happen. They leave, I get a phone call about 15 min. later. "Come get us....We just wrecked Nick's car!!"

Long story short, I asked who was driving. He replied "me" (Menaing my boy)..I asked WTF were YOU doing driving Nick's car"? "He hits me with a "Facebook" type response....

"I don't need to hear this right now"...

Really? That's your best response? i WISH I hadda said something like that to my old man..I'd still be having surgery to remove part of his boot from my a$$...

Long story shorter, Not One soul out of the FOUR in the car were wearing a seat belt. Not evewn the two UNDERAGE girls he had in there. Now, I got their parents calling me wanting ME to cover any and all Medical Bills. Thaks goodness he was over 18....
I warned him time and time again about these fast a$$ girls. Hardheaded. Won't listen.

Then, after we all get home that night, he has the nerve to ask if he can take his car to cruise night before he leaves. Really son? Your gonna ask me that???

On top of all this, I'm building a Camaro for my cousin, Finishing my own 1970 Dodge Challenger, Working on a Rat Rod 37 Chevy truck, and I need this crap right now.

Then, I get home and find out I have to replace part of my floor in the house due to the damn heat pump drain stopping up and rotting out my floor. I have five projects and keeping all them going is getting tougher... Fuel lines rotting, Quarters that were rust free, are now in need of repair. Exhaust systems that were once so pretty, are now rusting...

We all get bro. Keep your head up and lemme know If you need any further "Encouraging" words..Lol.

i use feul injection hose or Braided hose for everything now just because of this.
it was probably some old hose that was sitting in a parts store warehouse for ten years.

those lines are a real PITA , i learned the hard way myself. now i use nothing but 3/8 fuel injection lines as mentioned above ^^^^^

Daycare graduation ???

Man I am sure glad I'm old and all done with school--and have no kids, lol

I went to daycare and we didn't have no graduation, I didn't go to one till I was done with high school...my freaken parents made me go to it. All my friends blew it off but here I was sitting in the stands with all the Jocks.

Yes, F.I. hose. Everything is made so cheap today, you just can't buy a rubber hose. Funny how my 1978 hoses by the tank are still OK almost 35 years on the road. I would love to find some Mopar NOS fuel hoses from the late 70's. Chances are its still made better then anything Napa sells today

I will gladly take that fuel leaky beauty off your hands/. I'll even pay shipping !

My oldest daughter is at the University of Illinois in Champaign. I will have her go get it!!

Sorry about your troubles. Hope you get it fixed for good!!

~Michael

I had to replace both fuel lines on my briggs and staton lawnmower engine, weed eater,and the leaf blower is running funny. No more ethanol fuel in this engines. I didn't know it was affecting the hoses until it was to late.

-
Back