Manifold change good idea?

-

rvh072

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm thinking of changing from a single plain M1 to an RPM air gap. Engine is a 360 30th over Speed Pro flat top pistons, Purple shaft 284 484 cam, Edelbrock heads prepped by Hughes engines, comp roller rockers, 750 dp. 727,83/4 4.10 gears 3200 stall. Car is street driven and has run 12.88 @105.6 mph. Opinions appreciated.

I made a similar change. From a TorkerII-360 to the RPM A-G.
A very noticeable torque increase, pedal response and 1/4 times.
No top end lose noticed.

The "air gap" is a excellent manifold and switching from a single plane you should pick up some bottom end grunt..i run it on my 360 similar set up to yours(bigger cam though) and have gone in the 11.70's..try it..

Try it! The extra torque may test your tire and suspension combo...

Cheers I'm going to do it. the only reason i dont have a bigger cam is the pistons have no valve relieves

You will be very happy with the change,I just switched mine out(M1 to an RPM AG)It improved from the starting line all the way to the finish line.

Cheers I'm going to do it. the only reason i dont have a bigger cam is the pistons have no valve relieves

Glad you're taking the advice to switch. A single plane intake "might" make more peak horsepower, but a dual plane will provide more improvement in the rpm range that the engine will operate in/spend time in most of the time. More "area under the curve", whether it be on a dyno chart or airflow chart, tends increase acceleration and overall performance even if the peak numbers are higher.

It wouldn't hurt to experiment with some jetting and accelerator pump squirter & cam changes to see if you can optimize the combo.

I switched from a holley strip dominator ( just like a M1 ) to a mopar 6 pack In my 400hp 360 and it really seems like it picked up hp and torque everywhere! I know not a air gap but still a dual plane.

I just switched from a victor to a RPM on my smallblock and it feels much smoother & more powerful on the street. I'm a firm believer now that there isn't a better street manifold for the smallblocks.

-
Back