manifold tilt

-

hangn0ut

Reaction score
Like to hear thoughts on the lack of tilt of the Carb mounting pad on new manifolds. Seems I remember carbs being tilted fowards to keep the Carb level on the car. Anybody make a spacer to correct this?

most stock motors in stock chassis sit up it the front a tad and the manifolds is cut to level the carb out. when you build a hotrod chassis you sit the motor in level and straight at the rear end u-joint so the intake can be cut level.

I hear what your saying. But I'am not buying. I remember all the aftermarket manifolds I dealt with having the carb (or carbs) tilted forward. I ran a stage 3 max- wedge in my dart for many years. Factory x-ram,carbs sat level. Ran stage6 440 stroker with the big mopar single plane dominator intake. Carb sat level in the car. Cause I never noticed otherwise. Now I have an Indy top end. With the big single plane intake. And that carb is leaning way back.
Just got it running and I see a few potential problems. Fuel sloshing in the bowls will only be that much worse. Setting float level will need to be 'adjusted' to compensate. And its making getting a decent size air cleaner under my super stock Hood scoop unlikely.
I think some of the reasons for the 'flat' manifold would be,easier to design. Less potential distribution problems. Cheaper to machine. Perform better on an engine dyno. Good dyno numbers do help sales.
Now I know, if you don't like it,why did you buy it? That's not what I'am about. I would like to know has anybody addressed this issue? Can someone share their experience?
I like fuel injection! Make mine mechanical,please.

They do (or did) make angled plates to go between the carb & manifold. Made for circle track cars, but who says you can't turn them 90° and use them for a front-back spacer (if you have a square carb bolt pattern).

Which engine? S/B or B?B ? Have heard of B/B intake being mounted backwards.

-
Back