man's best friend

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
The wife and I have been going 'round and 'round about my '89 Ramcharger; 318/TBI/truck 4-speed. The old Bus has 170,000 miles, rust up to the rockers (it was a southern truck the first part of it's life hence the reason it's not rotted all the way to the glass being a now upstate NY truck), and a myriad of minor issues that don't bother me, but irritates the hell out of others. You'll notice that I call the old girl a truck because that's what she is. The backseat spends most of it's time in the upright position. This truck has hauled more trailers, brought home more dead vehicles, stripped out more parts, hauled more engines, pushed around more no starts, ripped through more feet of snow, made more cross country trips and generally been whipped the **** of all the while being the most loyal vehicle I've ever had . I have no problems getting in the truck and driving to MN where my wife's parents are, about a 2500 mile round trip, on a moments notice with doing nothing more than making sure it's full of oil and coolant. I put her through her paces, ask her for all I can ask her, and she just keeps coming back for more and more. This, my friends, is man's best friend. A loyal truck, getting along in years, but still willing to give more years of service. And you thought that ol' huntin' dog was.
The wife would like to see an "update" on the old Bus. IE something newer
with less problems. When I point out the cost of a new"er" Cummins 3500 (with 6-speed, natch) 4x4, 4 real doors, the wife wants to know why I want a truck that big. Ummm, let's see. I've told myself that the Bus is the last half ton platform I'll own. For all the work she does, it's still a half ton, and doing only half the work something with more suspension can do. Four full doors to replace the backseat, (I DO use it on occasion), a Cummins (hey, the new Hemi is great, but if you're buying a new"er" truck why not get the big truck engine?) So as she says this I put the bar so high that when I get around to reliving the old Bus she'll think it's a new truck...
Imagine: '89 Dodge Ramcharger 440 built with gobs of torque, keeping the
4-speed. I do this because the wife can't drive stick, won't let me teach her,
and this way she won't be able to drive my truck. Dana 60 in the rear with,
let's say 4.10s to take the place of the 9 1/4 with 3.23s in it now. Replace the 44 up front with a 60? She rides on the factory 31X10.5 size tires now (these and A/C were the only options I can see) in Green Diamond M/T (Google it). Good ground clearance, about the right height for towing, but was thinking that going to 3/4 ton spring sets would give the suspension I want for towing and hauling, give me a little more ground clearance and open the wheel wells up for maybe a set of 35s (33s would be the biggest right now without an aftermarket lift). Brake upgrades would be a must. Maybe if I'm upgrading the spring sets go ahead and update to the 3/4 ton semi-floating high GVW axles and 8 lug pattern? Seems like a bit of overkill, but what the hell... Either way, the rear would see a SureGrip unit at the least, and if the 9 1/4 stays it'll be a TruTrack.
Remember guys, I use this as a truck, not a rock crawler, so the idea of ridiculous amounts of wheel travel don't appeal to me. She'll see what she sees right now: a lot of snow in the winter, a lot muddy fields in the spring, and dry streets in the summer. Input guys. Comments. About the truck. About the wives who don't get it when a vehicle is this loyal you DON'T get rid of it. (On the other hand she has no problems about sinking money into my Cuda, or Sport Satellite, or my '78 F250) Suggestions. Anything you'd do different in the build? Right now, off the bat, two issues I see and one is curable: the factory hydraulic clutch would have to go, hello Keisler. The other one is the lack of availability of big block 4-speed truck bellhousings.

If you have the $$ and can get the Ramcharger done within a reasonable amount of time, I'd do that instead of buying a newer truck. On the other hand, a used truck is a pretty good deal right now, if you look around for the right deal. Maybe you can pick up the newer truck and still hang on the old girl in the end.

ramenth step back from the coffee pot. LOL. Just kidding. Man if she supports the other hot rods you may want to give in here. But only you know what's best. Good luck with it.

The old Bus would be done as a "driving restification:" doing it in stages as money and time allowed. Since it's 4by the time would be in the summer, to make sure the four tires are on the ground for snow and mud. For instance, next summer, taking care of necessary body work and paint, the summer afterward, taking care of driveline, the next summer etc...
By the way, just for general info, the Cuda: Keisler 5-speed, F250 updated to modern 5-speed stick in place of old three on the tree, Ramcharger: stick, The wife is wanting to help with the Sport Satellite (and by this I mean getting dirty with it) because it's the only auto in the stable of hot rods...

33x12.5s is really plenty big. A Skyjacker 2" full spring lift will be more than enough. The dana 60 upgrade for the rear is good idea as the 9 1/4 is more than likely rusted out under the shock plates and you can twist these axle tubes off like a beer can when they get rusted.

The structural body work you are going to have to do will be intense. If the rockers are as bad as you say, the body might start to fold when you jack it off the frame. There is a rear panel that ties the bedsides together. I had to rebuild mine as they are no longer availible and it was some complex work. How good are you at bodywork?

There's not a whole lot you can do about the brakes other than adding new new front rotors, good pads from "Hawk", add rear disks to the Dana 60 and some braided steel brake lines to replace the rubber stuff.

A 360 built right will give you plenty of torque, espacially with a stroker kit and mild ported magnum heads. You would still have the option of putting EFI on it from a later 360 with a upgraded computer too. Granted a 440 would be better but you'll need to check your emissions laws there. If they don't check you, go for it. Otherwise they may fail you for putting a early engine in a later body and an EFI conversion would be really pricey.

33x12.5s is really plenty big. A Skyjacker 2" full spring lift will be more than enough. The dana 60 upgrade for the rear is good idea as the 9 1/4 is more than likely rusted out under the shock plates and you can twist these axle tubes off like a beer can when they get rusted.

The structural body work you are going to have to do will be intense. If the rockers are as bad as you say, the body might start to fold when you jack it off the frame. There is a rear panel that ties the bedsides together. I had to rebuild mine as they are no longer availible and it was some complex work. How good are you at bodywork?

There's not a whole lot you can do about the brakes other than adding new new front rotors, good pads from "Hawk", add rear disks to the Dana 60 and some braided steel brake lines to replace the rubber stuff.

A 360 built right will give you plenty of torque, espacially with a stroker kit and mild ported magnum heads. You would still have the option of putting EFI on it from a later 360 with a upgraded computer too. Granted a 440 would be better but you'll need to check your emissions laws there. If they don't check you, go for it. Otherwise they may fail you for putting a early engine in a later body and an EFI conversion would be really pricey.

Actually, Ramcharger, I'll let you in a secret...(shhh, don't tell anyone...) My body experience is 15 years. Worked for local dealerships doing frame work on the rack and my dad and I owned our own restoration shop for seven years turning out things like one I just finished up: a '57 Chevy Bel Air Conv, appraised at $100,000. So nothing on the body bothers me. Actually, my truck, for all the rocker work is rock solid underneath. All the mounts and crossmembers are in gorgeous shape. And I have two good used rockers, inner and outers, to be welded in before the truck would even begin to come off the frame. As a matter of fact, all the sheetmetal work would be done before that happened to make it more structurally sound and to make the project go that much quicker to get the body back on.

Actually, Ramcharger, I'll let you in a secret...(shhh, don't tell anyone...) My body experience is 15 years. Worked for local dealerships doing frame work on the rack and my dad and I owned our own restoration shop for seven years turning out things like one I just finished up: a '57 Chevy Bel Air Conv, appraised at $100,000. So nothing on the body bothers me. Actually, my truck, for all the rocker work, is rock solid underneath. All the mounts and crossmembers are in gorgeous shape. And I have two good used rockers, inner and outers, to be welded in before the truck would even begin to come off the frame. As a matter of fact, all the sheetmetal work would be done before that happened to make it more structurally sound and to make the project go that much quicker to get the body back on.
The 440 appeals to me for two reasons: I have three of them. I have two 360s at the moment and both of them are in use. I even have a 413 if I wanted to do just a drop in. Emissions doesn't bother me: I'm a licensed New York State Safety and Emissions Inspector. And emissions testing in upstate NY is a soft emissions test: are the cats present? They don't have to have guts in 'em, and since it's not an OBDII system I don't have to worry about cat monitors. As a matter of fact, after 25 years, there is no emissions inspection on a car period, just safety. So in another five years...
I got out of body work as a living about five years ago and started turning a wrench. My body simply couldn't take the beating anymore. I'm 37 years old and need two new knees and major surgery on my left elbow because of repetive motion. Using the impact is less harmful to my elbow than an airboard or DA. And I can do most of the work I've been doing standing up with a car on a lift. I'm also Ford (BOO! HISS!) certified in electrical test out, drivability, engine performance, etc. Even though I'm not in a shop right now, I've got plenty of friends who are...so getting the sticker is absolutely no biggy.
I like your idea of stainless braided. Didn't think of that and with a lot of salt on the roads here, that's a good idea that'll I've have to follow up on. Rear disk on the Dana is another that I've thought about, especially for towing purposes: less prone to brake fade.
What about any other thoughts and suggestions? The 3/4 springs are going forward and if I go to the floating ends along with 'em then there would be a full brake upgrade, but I'm thinking that's overkill. An eight lug pattern would open me up to "E" rated tires, but since the truck would be towing more than it hauled I don't think that's necessary. And I'm thinking that with the extra stack of spring and better curvature then I won't have to spend the money on a lift at all, the springs will bring it up.

The Dodge Cummins are having major issues on transmissions, low and high pressure fuel pumps (mine went out once a year when I owned it) and stering rods, the one with the 2 u-joints, replaced at 62,000. Glad the bank took it back in the bankruptsy! That truck was crap but it ran and pulled good........when it wasn't broke!

The Dodge Cummins are having major issues on transmissions, low and high pressure fuel pumps (mine went out once a year when I owned it) and stering rods, the one with the 2 u-joints, replaced at 62,000. Glad the bank took it back in the bankruptsy! That truck was crap but it ran and pulled good........when it wasn't broke!

Actually, all of 'em were having tranny issues, thanks to the use of a right hand threads instead of left hand threads on the tailshafts in the sticks. And if it was an auto then the check balls in the cooler line were sticking closed both ways: no fluid getting to the cooler. Several TSBs out on the fixes and cures for these. The panhard bar is junk on all of 'em. I made a fortune replacing them when we would take these trucks in on trade or come in from wholesale from 1/2 tons all the way up. As for the pumps I hadn't heard of that. Pump problem or undiagnosed wiring issue like with most GM pumps (replace pump wire in new pigtail)? Still, none of those problems really a Cummins issue, but a Dodge issue.
I've actually thought about putting an early B-series in the old Bus. Find a late '80s Cummins powered truck with the stick, gut the entire harness, bolt in and drive away. Or really get my wife to roll her eyes when I say I should find a Cummins powered 4by dually, lengthen the Ramcharger to fit and have a 4 door Suburban sized Ramcharger Cummins dually. Just perfect for pulling around that 40' tag along we'd like to get to travel out to MN to see her folks...

-
Back