.......manual box.........

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
...........I have a small sector manual steering box[ from a 71 swinger] .......is there a pitman arm that will allow me to put this box into my friends 76 duster......thanks..........kim.......

...........I have a small sector manual steering box[ from a 71 swinger] .......is there a pitman arm that will allow me to put this box into my friends 76 duster......thanks..........kim.......

If I'm reading this right, you have a PS car you want to install a manual box and the steering column is to short to reach the sector on the box.

There is a coupler that is made to install a manual box in place of the power and use the same column

Been a while since I built my car and remember seeing them but don't remember who sold them

I think he's talking about changing an early (64-72) manual box to install MANUAL steering on a later (73-76) A body, so we are talking about "sector" size (the shaft that the Pitman arm slides onto is a different size on large sector.)

Info on big sector/large sector manual boxes continues to be vague and confusing (even on the big block dart site) but I believe we determined in our discussions here that only the POWER steering boxes used bigger sector sizes on the A bodies after 72. Depending on how you read the bbd site, supposedly only the trucks and vans got the big sector manual boxes, not the A body.

The last time I saw a post on this, the OP said the books alll listed the same Pitman arm for power and manual steering for 67-72 A bodies and then TWO DIFFERENT Pitman arms for 73 and up. One was for the 73-76 large sector power steering and one was for the manual steering with the small sector.

The person ordered the newer 73-76 MANUAL steering Pitman and it worked on the early box.

If all of this is wrong and the later manual boxes ARE big sector, you could still do the swap using ALL of the 71 Swinger parts including the drag link and the idler arm, basically converting the 76 Duster into the earlier pre 73 steering parts. They should work on the newer K frame if you use them all together.

you could still do the swap using

This is sorta pretty much what I said. The "three" pieces go together.......the pitman, the center link, and the idler. The pitman of course must fit the box.

You can use the same tie rod ends, but you WILL have to reset the toe.

...........Thanks guys, I was under the impression there was 2 different sizes 67-72 and 73-76...........the pitman arm I have now the stud is opposite from his, so then I can just get the 73 up arm to work with his steering.........yes changing from power to manual, I already have a column and coupler...............kim........

.Thanks guys, I was under the impression there was 2 different sizes 67-72 and 73-76

This IS correct for power steering boxes. 67-72 power boxes had a smaller sector output shaft (where the Pitman arm attaches) and the 73-76 power box was larger sector. Up until that point the manual steering box used the same pitman arm as the power steering.

In 73 they changed the direction of the Pitman arm (and the steering telemetry)and all 73-76 Pitman arms were upgraded. They also changed the power steering boxes to a larger sector output size.

Let me stop to say that I have not DONE this swap yet, or I would be much more confident in this info. That being said, from what I can ascertain through older posts here and lengthy study, the manual steering box might have retained the smaller sector through 76 while the power steering pump had the larger sector output shaft. That means that with the NEW Pitman arm for 73-76 you would not be able to use the same Pitman arm on a power and manual box because the sector sizes are different. I have been told that parts houses do list a different part number for 73-76 power and one for 73-76 manual steering while the pre 72 has the same part number for both.

The new 73-76 MANUAL Pitman arm should be a small sector shaft version of the new configuration, so to answer your question, the 71 manual box with a 76 MANUAL Pitman arm should work with his existing 73-76 linkages without having to swap to the pre-72 setup.

And yes, this has been said on this post before, I am just trying to condense it into something more easy to uhderstand.

Good Luck!

-
Back