manual brakes???

-

mac daddy mopar

Reaction score
my cam don't produce enough vacuum, to operate my power booster, can I just take the booster off, and use my master clyinder, or do I need to get a manual master clyinder for disc brakes? thanks.

Mark

At the very least you will need the pushrod and rubber retainer to swap to manual brakes. The power brake master cyl will work but will require more pedal effort than a manual brake master cyl because of the larger bore size compared to a manual master cyl, but will be easier than pushing the pedal with little or no vacuum in the booster.

Ok thanks, I have a manual rod and the retainer, I also have a size 12 EEE foot, thanks again.

Mark

You CAN buy a vacuum pump. 'whut the diesel rigs run

You CAN buy a vacuum pump. 'whut the diesel rigs run

a vacuum pump would be nice, but I'm a broke sumbitch, who has to work with what I have, or can get cheap, I had a 76 duster, weired optioned car, /6, 4 speed, ac, factory sun roof, manual steering and brakes, but the way that car, steered and stopped you couldn't tell, if I can get the scamp to stop half as good as that duster did, I'd be happy as hell.

Mark

MacDaddy,
When I had my 81 Malibu cop car with a built 69 350 I had the same problem..

.513 lift cam with a bunch of duration, 1.7 roller rockers, etc.

I solved the problem simply and cheaply with a vacuum reservoir....$ 35 thru Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1464/

Thanks, I can swing that,so I'll give it a try, if it don't do it for me, I can still go manual, thanks again.

Mark

Are you running a factory mechanical fuel pump? If not, You might put a cheap mechanical pump on there and install a vacuum reservoir. Hook the brakes to the can, hook the intake of the pump to the can and hook the outlet of the pump to manifold vacuum.

(They actually used to sell "dual diaphram" pumps back in the days of vacuum wipers. basicially it was two fuel pumps, one pumped fuel, the other pumped "vacuum")

Are you running a factory mechanical fuel pump? If not, You might put a cheap mechanical pump on there and install a vacuum reservoir. Hook the brakes to the can, hook the intake of the pump to the can and hook the outlet of the pump to manifold vacuum.

(They actually used to sell "dual diaphram" pumps back in the days of vacuum wipers. basicially it was two fuel pumps, one pumped fuel, the other pumped "vacuum")

yeah, I'm using the stock style fuel pump, stuck a vacuum can on, it helps some, but in stop and go traffic, it's useless. so I guess I'll go manual.
Thanks all.

Mark

-
Back