Manual Drum Brakes info needed!

-

DaisyDart

Reaction score
Before driving my 70 dart, I've never driven a car with manual drums, so i was never sure what felt normal or not. I've always had to use all my force to get her to stop at lights and what not ( mind you I'm a very small lady so i figured I'm just weak ) I finally got my father to drive the car when he was immediately alarmed. He said the pedal felt quite stiff, and even for him it required a good amount of force to stop. He told me all the other manual drum cars he's driven never felt like this. So we proceeded to take the wheels off and inspect the brakes, they aren't worn and the adjustment on them seems fine.

My question is, could the proportioning valve cause this type of brake issue?
Thanks!!

my brakes felt like that when i first drove my 72 duster, i pulled off the wheels and the shoes all looked good and seemed to be adjusted correctly, i looked a little closer at the front brakes and noticed that the shoes were on backwards. the wider shoe goes on the back half and the skinny shoe goes on the front. just something fast you can check

Beautiful car you have there! Probably something wrong and need to get it looked at. Ever thought about installing some disc brakes? I know your car is a nice survivor but upgrading the brakes for safety will not hurt the value....good luck :glasses7:

Manual brakes don't have a prop valve.

There is a switch in the distribution block at the junction of the two master lines feeding the split to the front / rear. This is a piston operated deal and some of these when the piston gets "off center" can shut off one end of the car. This is usually obvious, because you won't have one end or the other, IE no front or no rear.

If you have no rear this is sometimes harder to detect, without "dynamiting" the brakes on gravel ETC, IE locking them up.

"What causes" drums brakes to be hard and stiff..............in no order

too large master bore, causes more pedal pressure necessary

hard, glazed linings caused by lots and lots of hard high speed braking

sometimes the TYPE of lining is way off. Way way way back "then" you could get metallic high performance lining, "Velvatouch" was one. This stuff was HORRID. They'd cool down from non-use on a long drive, and you'd need to make a hard stop. They would NOT stop cold!!! You'd tromp on the pedal HARD and they wouldn't do SQUAT. THEN they'd start to warm up and STOP!!! and you'd have to "back off" the pedal to prevent lockup.

drums that have been turned "too large" which causes the shoes to only contact the drums in the "center" of the lining. Think of two circles fitting inside one another. If you make the outer one larger, IE "turning" the drums or wearing them, then the inner circle becomes relatively smaller.

worn drums that are grooved, worn uneven, and have then had new shoes installed, which won't fit into these imperfections (grooves) and therefore become "glazed" on the high spots.

Huge oversized (diameter) tires, a common problem on pickups. The larger diameter the tire, the more difficult it is to stop.

Check the wheel cylinders, they may be rusted up internally. Jack up car, have someone apply brakes & see if you can turn wheels by hand. Even with light pedal pressure they should not turn. I recently bought a manual drum B-body that had exactly the same symptoms as you & it had 2 frozen cylinders, solid rust inside. Properly set up manual drums should stop straight & true with only moderate pedal pressure. They actually have much better feel than power discs of same vintage. You can still get USA made wheel cylinders for cheap.

-
Back