Manual Gearbox 16 x 1 Ratio?

-

dusterforever

Reaction score
What cars did these boxes come on? I recently drove a friend's duster and loved it. I can't afford $500 for a new one plus the adapter. Any info would be appreciated. If I knew what to look for might grt lucky.

These were available as a factory option on the 1969 340 Dart Swingers.

I'm sure there were other applications, probably the 1968-69 'Cuda Formula S.

I am not sure if this applies to you, but if you have or will have TTI headers, they say their Headers ( small block step Headers) will not clear the Fast Ratio pitman and idler arms, which are 3/4" longer than stock arms. Just a thought.

The 16-1 box would come with a standard legnth pitman arm. Good luck finding that box. A place that possibly may have some useres is over on moparchat.com they have a oval track forum and the racers over there use them on some of there cars.

Firm feel used to sell a repro chuck for them, but no more. Besides, its the same turns lock to lock as the power - 3.5.

You can find the close ratio on T/A`s and AAR`s. Someone (Just Suspension maybe?) is producing a longer pitman arm for use with the later model A`s to give you the close ratio.

Firm feel used to sell a repro chuck for them, but no more. Besides, its the same turns lock to lock as the power - 3.5.

Hey Pete, I know you did your own setup, what did you end up doing as far as firming up your power steering box?

Wasn't it that Firm Feel and other vendors like Steer + Gear were selling power steering boxes that basically only had a few simple changes from factory stock, yet the charges were stout for their boxes?

If you take a standard man box it can be converted to 16:1 by swapping the worm gear.

Call around in your area to shops that rebuild boxes, somebody will be able to do the swap, and will know what would have the worm gear you need, instead of buying a MP one... It was way cheap, like only $50 more than a regular rebulid...

JOE

I just bought a 20 to 1 worm gear assembly from Mancini's for $175.00. Not as fast as the 16 to 1 but better than the stock 26 to 1.

I have a firm feel stage 2 box. I had a stage 3 at one time, but when I sent it back due to a problem, I had Dick back it down to stage 2. Since it was an error on Firm Feel, they sent me a check for the shipping :thumbup:

-
Back