manual steering box bolt alignment

-

340duster340

Reaction score
In mocking up my front suspension, i noticed that the bolt holes for the manual steering box are much larger than that of the power steering box its replacing.

the car is a 66 dart, and the bolts are say 3/8 diameter for the power steering and the manual looks like it has a hole to fit a 7/16 bolt.

this doesn't look right to me and i am thinking i need to index the holes in the manual box with some spacers, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

BUT before i do this has anyone dealt with this before?

thanks in advance.

You have a later steering box. The early cars used smaller diameter box mounting bolts. Best to bush the holes down to the size of your bolts.

thanks, i had a feeling that was what i was going to have to do. when to the hardware store, and they didn't even have anything close OD wise...if i have to will run over to my friends machine shop and turn some bushings. anyone else need ?? is it worth making a few sets of these? i have 3 manual boxes, all the later style go figure.

thanks, i had a feeling that was what i was going to have to do. when to the hardware store, and they didn't even have anything close OD wise...if i have to will run over to my friends machine shop and turn some bushings. anyone else need ?? is it worth making a few sets of these? i have 3 manual boxes, all the later style go figure.

You'll probably have a problem using the later box, the pitman arm won't match the center link. The later boxes have a larger sector shaft and the center link stud points down instead of up like the early pitman. This is a 67 kframe and you can see the pitman stud comes from underneath. You cannot use a early pitman on the later box.

Attachments

• WP_20140902_21_15_47_Pro.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 234
I second post #7. You need a 63-73 manual steering box. I think there is no way to use the 73+ "large sector" box with your 66 linkage, nor later linkage in your car.

No difference in boxes.

The V-8 centerlink is different, dropping down ~1/2" more to clear the oil pan. Also, oil pans from later engines (67+?) bump into even the proper V-8 link.

Pick up October 2014 Mopar Action, they have a great article on the manual steering box. There is a difference between the /6 and V-8 manual boxes. Nothing dimensionally on the outside, it's the sector shaft bearings/bushing. The V-8 box has roller bearings while the /6 has a bushing. The desirable box is the V-8. They do a rebuild on one, looks like it's a snap to repair. Fast ratio internals are available if that's the way you want to go. Good luck with you're project.

Pick up October 2014 Mopar Action, they have a great article on the manual steering box. There is a difference between the /6 and V-8 manual boxes. Nothing dimensionally on the outside, it's the sector shaft bearings/bushing. The V-8 box has roller bearings while the /6 has a bushing. The desirable box is the V-8. They do a rebuild on one, looks like it's a snap to repair. Fast ratio internals are available if that's the way you want to go. Good luck with you're project.

Dude, the OP is talking about the mounting bolt holes between the 66 and older boxer and later iterations. There are definitely different size holes. I used a 65 box on my 68 and had to open up the mounting holes.

mopowers, Post #10 & 12 were replying to the question in post #9.

Post #12 is most correct. 63-66 6 & 8 cyl boxes are the same externally (same size bolts), but 6 cyl boxes did have output bushings instead of needle bearings. The later is more desirable. Seems silly that they designed such differences between 6 & 8 cyl cars, but they were shooting for a very low price point in 6 cyl.

I work at Firm Feel and we can take the early style small sector, small mounting hole manual box with output bushings and bore it out to except our needle bearings. Give us a call if you have any questions.1-800-FIRM-426

-
Back