manual steering box help

-

Flat_Black

Flat Black king
Reaction score
i got a manual steering box for my 73 dart. but the shaft from the column to the box is to short. what am i missing?

Keith Mopar said:
you must have a PS column I would say.
Manual column is longer.

yes i have a ps column. is there anyway i can get around having the change the column?

I"ve seen adapters advertised for about $ 100. check around you might find a deal on One .look in the ads in Mopar muscle ETC...

You can buy adapters for the shaft, but I think there about $80 US. (Firm Feel) I think or on e-bay. ALSO, it's not the best way to go but I took mine apart and moved the sliding (telescope) forward to the correct length then gave it a spot weld. HOWEVER, This stops your steering shaft from telescoping if in a head-on crash. Could get a sore chest!

coladp.jpg

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mamastad.html
This is the one I installed last month. I did it when my engine was already out and it took about 60 seconds. You can probably get a better price elsewhere but I couldn't find any feedback and I knew this one would work.

Note to self: Make sure your steering wheel is where you want it before you hook it back together.

69signetv8 said:
You can buy adapters for the shaft, but I think there about $80 US. (Firm Feel) I think or on e-bay. ALSO, it's not the best way to go but I took mine apart and moved the sliding (telescope) forward to the correct length then gave it a spot weld. HOWEVER, This stops your steering shaft from telescoping if in a head-on crash. Could get a sore chest!
this is what i got an its worked out great,good luck

MIKEY

I'm sure there are other ways (I don't know them).

When I am going through the traps over 100 mph, I don't regret buying mine. Peace of mind means alot, especially when the wife is driving it.

340 Dart said:
I'm sure there are other ways (I don't know them).

When I am going through the traps over 100 mph, I don't regret buying mine. Peace of mind means alot, especially when the wife is driving it.
true true

-
Back