Manual steering box knock

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I've been hearing a strange knocking sound in the front end when making right hand turns so I went ahead and changed inner and outer bearings. That didn't do anything so I jacked the car up and had someone turn the wheel back and forth to see if there were any loose suspension parts. Nothing is loose under there but I noticed there is a bit of a knock in the steering box. When the wheel is centered with the front wheels straight, I can turn the wheel back and forth quickly and there isn't much of a sound. It feels pretty smooth. If I turn the wheel a couple turns to the right or left and then steer it back and forth, there is a pretty loud knock inside of the box. It's worse depending on how far left or right you turn the wheel. Some spots are worse than others. Anyone know whats going on? I wanted to do that whole preload adjustment deal but I can't seem to find anything to take the big nut off the box. Are you guys using a big pair of channellocks or something? I tried a pipe wrench, it'll go wide enough but the nut is too big and you can't get the wrench on there enough to break it loose.

If I couldn't find the steering gear loose in it mounting to the K or the knock coming from somewhere besides inside the gear box, I would replace the steering gear box.
Trying to adjust away a knock is a roll of the dice. Might make it quiet today and might also make it hang tomorrow.

Sounds. to me like the input shaft is trying to walk out as your nearing the end of travel and starting to load the box up. . Have someone rotate the wheel while you watch the input and see if its moving that much. If so I agree that I'd be lookinig for a new one.

-
Back