Manual Steering Box Parts Swap

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I've got a fast ratio manual box that has had some grinding done to to elongate some bolt holes. I think a PO did this to allow it to be shifted a bit for clearance to other components. I also have a couple of standard ratio boxes in good shape.

How hard would it be to swap the internals from the fast ratio box into one of the others & get all of the adjustments right? I rebuilt one of these boxes in the mid '70's in auto shop & about all I remember is that I had to use a beam type inch-pound torque wrench to set the pre-load.

I could probably use the fast ratio box as is, but I think it'd be better to use one of the cases that hasn't been tweaked. Seems like I'd get more accurate placement of the box on the chassis.

The oversized holes may have came from it being loose in previous use. Any way it's not a good thing. To move the internals would probably be easier than filling and redrilling those holes. Certainly easier than a power steering gearbox service as well. I would atleast try to get some new parts and maybe even service tips from someone like Firmfeel , whoever. Good luck

I remember a mopar muscle article that rebuilt a steering box. Didn't look hard but the hard part for me will be finding the article. Got lots of those magazines...

I remember a mopar muscle article that rebuilt a steering box. Didn't look hard but the hard part for me will be finding the article. Got lots of those magazines...

There was an article in one of the Mopar mags in the last few months but it didn't really say much. Showed pics of how to tell the difference in ratios by looking at the internals but I don't really remember it saying much about rebuilding. I think it did say something like "Will you be able to find all or the parts?" I know one of the boxes I have had new seals put in about 20k or so miles ago. They'd probably be reusable.

Maybe I should contact firmfeel or somebody like that & see if they'd do the swap.

RedFish As far as the elongation of the holes, I think the PO did this to clear a different exhaust manifold or something like that. They also did a little grinding on the housing for clearance. Whatever the reason, I'd feel safer with an undamaged case.

RedFish As far as the elongation of the holes, I think the PO did this to clear a different exhaust manifold or something like that. They also did a little grinding on the housing for clearance. Whatever the reason, I'd feel safer with an undamaged case.

I'm sure they learned from their mistake. That gearbox wouldn't stay in one position short of welding it to the K.
Flaming River is the other vendor I couldn't recall earlier.

-
Back