Manual Steering Box Rotations?

-

matsucu06

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm sure this has been covered before, but was wondering if there's a typical number of rotations that a manual steering box should turn? I was working on centering the number of turns per side (Left vs. Right). The manual steering box only has a total of 4 1/2 total turns of the steering wheel...

Thought I read in a previous thread that the number of total turns on of the steering wheel should be about 5 1/2? Were there different number of turns for manual steering boxes?

You have one someone has installed a MP worm gear in. The stock ratios were 24:1 and the quick ratio was 16:1. The 24:1 had 5.5 turns lock to lock and 16:1 had 3.5 turns. The MP worm gear had a 20:1 ratio. 4.5 turns would be just right.

Thanks guys! Didn't even think to check the ratio before I installed. Would have to pull DS header to pull the steering box out... Seems to work okay aside from the limited turning radius... Any other downsides to this lower ratio?

Probably not. That's why MP came out with the middle of the road ratio. The 16:1 was a little tough to turn at slow speeds, but the 24:1 takes forever.

-
Back