Manual steering box steering column?

-

akehurst89

Reaction score
I have a 1970 dart swinger and someone took the man steering box and tried to convert it to power. The steering gear company rebuilding my gear box said the column is different for man steering vs power and I needed to replace the column cause the steering gear input shaft is a different length? Is that true and is it just the steering shaft or the whole column that needs to be replaced?

You can change just the shaft, the connector that goes to the steering box is different on power steering and manual steering.

They are correct , the power colum has a shorter shaft and a smaller spline coupler then the manual colum however the shaft in manual colum can be changed . The colum you need should be easy to come by most people want manual colums

Ok awsome that's what I needed to know thanks guys. Now just have to locate a different shaft.

There is an adaptor to go from a manual column to a power box allowing you to keep your manual column. But power steering columns are a dime a dozen if you wanted to swap it out.

There is an adaptor to go from a manual column to a power box allowing you to keep your manual column...
Nope, other way. The adapter makes a power column longer to reach a manual gear box. As said, most people go from power to manual to fit headers and/or save weight. You can probably swap your manual column (or just shaft) for an entire power setup.

BTW, if you have a 4-spd manual tranny, people would beat down your door to trade an auto and pay you. Ditto if a Sure-grip rear-end.

-
Back