Manual Steering box

-

DdgeDartboi

the beast
Reaction score
OK i need some help here i am moving all my parts from my 72 custom to a 71 swinger.... i was told that the steering columns will line up but i have power steering on the 72 and manual steering on the 71... i would like to keep the manual steering on the 71 and somehow get rid of the power steering..... if anyone could help me out here i need to know whether or not they line up or if i am going to have to purchase another steering column for the manual steering swinger..... and also if i do need to buy a new one where can i get one that isn't going to break bank.... thanks guys and i hope to hear from you all soon...

P.S. i will be parting out the 72 custom as soon as i get the chance to see what i need and what i don't so if you guys are interested in any parts just let me know

Toby

The power steering column will be too short for the manual box. But I was told that the shaft ends can be removed/swapped out. So you can use the '72 column assembly if you swap in the actual shaft from the original '71 column. (I haven't tried to do that but hopefully someone can elaborate because it will come in handy.)

One other option is to buy an adapter from Mancini or other source which is simply an extension for the power steering shaft.

thanks guys that helps alot.... i hope to be able to do something with it i really don't want to have to use the power steering anymore.... if anyone happens to have a spare manual steering column or one of the couplers lying around it would be MUCH MUCH appreciated thanks again
Toby

Can't you use the manual column with the manual box? Are there differences between the columns for the 2 different years? I'm not really familiar with those two years so that's why I'm asking. :)

yes you can use a manual colum with the manual box my problem is that i have a manual box and a power steering column so the power steering column is shorter

My friend said he lengthened his power steering colum for a manual box. Dunno if he actualy did or not or if the spline counts the same. i found a guy at carlisle selling the adapters for 80 bucks. So thats the route im going with mine. Sure beats flaming rippoffs price.

Isn't there any way to lengthen the power steering column?
Yep. With the column out of the car whack the coupler end with a hammer (colapses the inner shaft) then pull the lower shaft out the extra 3" to reach the manual steering box. You have to be carefull doing this because you can damage the bearings in the column this way, Its safer to take the column apart to accomplish this.
Dodge pickups, late 70's-mid 80's w/power steering use the same steering box coupler as passcar w/manual steering.

-
Back