Manual Steering issue..

-

71_Demon

Reaction score
Well I got my Demon on the road today and found that the manual steering seems to be a bit lookse. I was able to turn my steering wheel almost a 1/4 to 1/8th turn in either direction before the car responds. It appears to get worse at higher speeds.

Is there a way to tighten the manual steering box so that the steering is more responsive?

in the FSM they have step by step on how to do it. is has to do with cross shaft adjustment and worm drive adjustment. its hard to explain without both parties reading the manual. it doesn't need to be even for your car just a FSM for around your year of car.

I had the same problem initially. I did a very little bit of adjustment and it is pretty tight now.

You have to be careful not to overtighten or else the box can bind up (very bad). It's not hard...just be mindful of what you are doing.

Have you checked all of your tie rod ends, idler and steering gear arm, and ball joints for excessive play? All of these can contribute to slack in the steering wheel. Try having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look underneath starting at the steering gear arm. If the wheel turns a lot before there`s any movement in the steering gear then the box will need an adjustment. If not you should look for bad tie rods, idler, etc...

Be sure to check the steering coupler, when the bronze bushings in the coupler pot assembly wears, you can get alot of slack in the steering wheel.

Yep...I had a bunch of that too....

Luckily the local Dodge dealership carries slider joint rebuild kits in the parts department.

-
Back