Manual Steering Markings, S/N ?

-

archlab

Reaction score
Anyone know if there are any markings or numbering on a Manual Steering Box which will tell you which one/ratio you have? I am gonna look at a box in a junk yard, but don't think the car in question has a steering wheel - but I can get into the engine compartment.

Tanks....

I think the only way to tell is by turning the wheel or shaft; 3.5 turns lock to lock (might be more like 3.45, and so on) = 16:1, 4.5 = 20.1, 5.5 = 24:1 (by far the most common).

I think the only way to tell is by turning the wheel or shaft; 3.5 turns lock to lock (might be more like 3.45, and so on) = 16:1, 4.5 = 20.1, 5.5 = 24:1 (by far the most common).

Drat...that's what I thought you were gonna say...looks like I'd better 'git out the vise grips& turn the shaft'.

Yup, and they made two different pitman shaft diameters too so bring a good set of calipers with you so you can measure it without having to pull the pitman arm first. Generally speaking, the '72 and earlier A,B,and E-bodies used the small shaft box. The '73 and newer (all bodies), the '72 and older C-bodies, and B-vans used the big pitman. Also, the '66 and older boxes came in both a bushing and bearing version. I'd recommend using the bearing type as it's a bit stronger and easier to turn under load.

-
Back