Manual Steering - Standard vs Fast Ratio?

-

Thanatos340

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster that was converted to Manual Steering many years ago by a previous owner. The current steering box is pretty Worn out and due rebuild or replacement. The primary use of this car is a weekend cruiser and might occasionally make a test and tune pass at the local Drag Strip.

How much of a noticeable difference in day to day driving would a Fast Ratio Box like the Flaming River or equivalent make vs the Standard?

Will it take more or less muscle for parking and such with the fast ratio? (Fewer turn but harder to turn due to ratio than standard ratio?)

Being that I have never driven a Duster with fast ratio steering, I am curious to hear from those that have and if it really made a big difference in handling and Daily Driving.

I cannot answer the question until I rebuild the steering box with one of my 20:1 gears. Per SlantSixDan the 20:1 is the way to go.

I used the Flaming River 16 to 1 manual box when we built GTX-R. It had Viper spec wheels and tires. IF the car wasn't moving it was almost impossible to steer. It was tough even when moving.Handled well though.
On a A body with smaller tires and the car being lighter it maybe ok. All I know it was wrong for our car.

Attachments

• 72plymouth GTX-R SIDE 640x480.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 438
I have a factory 16:1 manual box in my car. I've had it for about 20 years. It's a workout. You learn to always have the car moving a bit when turning the wheel. Since I don't drive my car as often as I should, the day after I drive it, my shoulders are sore.

I'm considering trying to fit one of the new Borgeson power steering boxes in my car.

I have a 16:1 Flaming River box in my Duster. It's awesome at speed, go-cart like almost. But it's a bear at parking lot speeds. Definitely don't want to do much turning if you're standing still or below ~5 mph, parallel parking isn't much fun. I have 225/60/15's on the Duster right now, so not even all that wide a tire. The 16:1 is a pretty big difference in effort vs a 24:1. Fewer turns, but a lot more effort.

I have a 20:1 for my Challenger when I convert it to manual, but I haven't tested it out yet. Unfortunately the 20:1 isn't easy to find, it was a replacement worm gear offered by Mopar Performance and I don't believe they're being made anymore.

which cars had 16:1 from the factory? I have only found 24:1.-Thanks Dan

Not sure. I think it was optional on a lot of cars. Jim Lusk would probably know. I bought it from a guy in PA. I placed a wanted ad in Hemmings, way before the internet. :) The guy responded to my ad and I bought it.

Lee's car was available with 16:1, but did not have it originally (we know the history dating back to 1975, I bought it in 1980). It was a RARE option choice that was available through the late 60s, at least.

you can buy 20:1 shafts to install into the stock manual 24:1 boxes which is what we do to all our Ss Hemi darts. Makes them much easier and much nicer to drive.

I have driven cars with the three different ratios. I chose the 20:1 for my Barracuda because it was a good compromise between quicker steering and low speed effort.

I am switching from power to manual this winter. The box I bought has the 24:1 ratio. Can't you get a smaller diameter steering wheel to make it a little more responsive?
In the 70's I had a 69 Roadrunner with manual steering,4 speed and manual drum brakes. That thing was a handful to drive and stop.

-
Back