Manual steering to Power steering

-

orion20001

Reaction score
I am going to switch to power steering in my 67 Dart GT. I have a 1975 Dart donor car that I have taken out the K member with front end suspension and power steering and it is now installed in my 67. I was told I will need to shorten my column by 3 inches and my question is where do I shorten the steering column?

Oops, nevermind on the first comment. But.......

I believe the shorter steering shaft can be swapped into the older steering column. Hope someone can confirm that. Otherwise, it might be possible to use the whole '75 steering assembly in the other car, which might require some rewiring.

you could probably swap the column out and sell the one you took out. I had to get an adapter to lengthen my column (i swapped power for manual), and the adapter was $90 itself.

It is posible to swap the main shafts, but the columns have colapsable two piece shafts. Take your original one apart, use a torch to melt the plastic where the two halfs slide together and remove the amount you need.

I heard the same thing, the colum collapses and can be used with power or manual.

I did the same thing with the Demon. Once you get the column apart, no problem taking the wiring from the 67 column and putting it in the 75. There are two small harnesses in the 75 column that will slide out once disconnected from the switches.

Actuallly all you'll need is the wiring for the turn signal from 67 to go into the 75 column. The other controls (emergency flasher and ignition switch) are in the dash on the 67. I'm not sure how you want to handle the ignition switch and lock in the 75 column.

Well I finally completed my swap to power steering in my 67 Dart. I had a 75 Dart custom donor car with the power steering but my Haynes manual showed a different 2 piece shaft than the pic of my 67. Thinking I would save time and unsure of welding or cutting the shaft I found a 68 Dart PS column not as nice as mine and proceeded to take all 3 apart. To my surprise I did not even need to buy the 68 column because the 75 PS and 67 manual steering lower section collapsible shaft are interchangeable the only difference in the 2 piece shafts was the upper shaft of the 75 has a larger thread size and nut to hold the steering wheel. I had 2 Haynes manuals to cover the 67 and 75 and neither showed this type of 2 piece shafts. Needless to say I now have a power steering and a manual lower shaft to coupler for sale as well as a manual steering gear with pitman arm. I would like to thank everyone that helped in this thread this is a great site with alot of helpful mopar enthusiasts that have helped me tremendously through this restoration. I have come a long way since starting this project and its been made easier with this interactive site. Thanks again

-
Back