Manual to Power Conversion

-

ozymail01

Reaction score
I have a 75 Duster Custom Slant 6 with drum brakes all around. I want to convert to power (add a booster) given how hard I have to push to stop. Original master cylinder is a 15/16” bore with two equal sized reservoirs. I purchased a master cylinder/power booster combo from NAPA (see pics) but from reading this forum, it’s for the frond disk break setup (it may be for sale soon). I want to eventually convert to disk in front but that’s a future consideration and I know I may have to replace these parts again. Questions are:
1. What do I need to bolt the booster to the firewall? In another post, someone mentioned an adapter plate that goes between the booster and the firewall. Where can I get one of these?
2. Do I need to change push rods, anything else?
3. I see in other posts that some of you think manual is better. Why?
Thanks!

CIMG3177.gif

CIMG3179.gif

CIMG3181.gif

CIMG3182.gif

the boosted brakes tend to feel too twitchy. I would find a set of '76/Fbody calipers and bolt them on with the 15/16MC. it will feel like power but without the touchiness. The drums are whats making it hard to stop.

I've gotta agree, manual discs are it. Firm pedal without the "grab" of the power system, and if you want that power "squishy" felling... just add a little air to the lines :lol:

sorry to jack this on you but who do you guys think makes the best disc brake conversion kit, also who sells the cheapest. I know that i personally don't have the money to buy the $1000 and up willwood brake conversion. I've got a 74 scamp so i'd need the same set up as ozymail01. just curious

I agree with those that said your best bet is to ditch the drum brakes and go to disc. However if you want to keep the drums and add the power, I have a complete master cyl, booster and required linkage to connect to the brake pedal that you're welcome to for a nominal fee (shipping). It's from a 73 Dart Sport.

:)

PM me if you're interested. I'll hve to dig it out of the shed.
Thanks,
Ken

-
Back